Thursday, June 26, 2008

Another Reason to Avoid Denver This Summer

Some 20,000 - 50,000 war protesters might want to camp out at a Denver city park this summer during the Democratic convention at an event called "Tent State University:"

"The city issued an assembly permit in the southwest corner of the park for Tent State University to bring a tribe of college kids from across the country for an "alternative university" Aug. 24-28.

"Come to Denver to end a war!" declares the Web site for Tent State University, which describes itself as "a positive, youth-led initiative to fund education instead of war."

Tent State will be a staging area "to experience real democracy," protests and classes teaching nonviolent anti-war tactics and strategies, the Web site says.

While the city said the permit is for "approximately 20,000 participants," chief Tent State organizer Adam Jung said he dreams of luring up to 50,000 protesters if he locks up hot music acts ranging from political hip-hop to Southern honky-tonk.

The hang-up: Overnight camping is illegal in the park."


Tent State University. Can't think of anywhere I'd rather not be this summer.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep finding reasons to stroke my own ego by propagating this little quote of mine:

To me, protesting is like being uncontrollably horny while being irreversibly unattractive. No matter how much effort you put in, the only satisfaction you get at the end of the day is from yourself.

Rita Loca said...

I have been enjoying a visit with my grand daughters and have not read many blogs...just stopping by to say hello!

Unknown said...

Gimme a break! I wonder just how "anit-violent" it will be really. Oh, and how are all these protestors going to feel when our fine country is once again attacked here at home? Especially with the possibility of our new President playing patty-cake with evil dictators and haters of America!

Sean said...

Hey Andy,

Protests brought down the Berlin wall. (maybe you thought it was Reagan?)

If you think that most protests have small effects you wouldn't be wrong.

But its about timing. Being in the right place at the right time.

That's how change happens.

Now, I know you and I won't agree politically.

But Stand UP for political speech and those who engage in it.

Its there for us all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Andy and Radical for your comments...both points are well taken...it's not either/or but rather both/and.

I can think of no where else I'd rather not be than in Denver for something like this. On the other hand, it is an individual freedom that I would defend they have the right to. And thank God for that.

Unknown said...

I'm with you Radical, but I think that the majority of the protesting we see is typically pretty impotent.

Maybe I'm simple, but gathering at the DNC to protest the war seems...redundant. Stake out Tent State at the RNC.

And web - right there with you, too. I spent 8 years on active duty representing and working to preserve these rights, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Andy, for your service to our country defending our rights to be redundant and make total fools of ourselves.

And oh by the way, I've certainly exercised my right to be wrong many times....and will many times in the future.

Bob's Blog said...

The farm will be the place to be, but I might take a day to blog from the scene of the redundancies.