Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Robert Spenser Readjusts Our Expectations For Democracy In the Middle East

LATE LAST NIGHT I WAS CHATTING ON THE PHONE WITH A CONSERVATIVE FRIEND in D.C. about recent events in Egypt and heard myself say something like,

'You know, if it's really a young persons-internet revolution in the Middle East, it could possibly doom extreme Islam. Maybe I'm far too optimistic, but what 20-something revolutionary in Egypt doesn't want more computers, cell phones, Levis and lattes from Starbucks, not to mention more economic opportunity...They can't do it if 14th century radicals take over their countries again. That would only bring a greater loss of hoped-for freedoms...

There was a definite pause on the other end of the phone as the voice replied, Well that's certainly what the current administration is hoping for. But is it really realistic? And are we being naive?

Probably, I acknowledged. But I so want to believe some form of economic freedom and liberating democracy is possible beyond military dictatorships and tribal squabbling.

Our conversation ended but stayed with me as I fell asleep. This morning as I made my early morning rounds, I went to Human Events and immediately fixated on this piece by Robert Spenser. He certainly knows how to readjust a girl's hope for change in the ME.

Read the whole thing for a good attitude adjustment above and beyond the silliness of the Obama administration's current stance.

*****

Am having computer problems and my brilliant computer geek is here to help get things right this morning. So I'm signing off for now and hope to be back sooner rather than later.

No comments: