Friday, March 4, 2011

Day of the Asparagus

IT'S ALMOST SPRING AND IF YOU, AS I, LIKE TO EAT SEASONALLY, you know it's getting to look a lot like asparagus season. As the first daffodils start to poke up, so too are asparagus now coming into their own. Right now, this minute, on the double.

So what's a girl who's asked to bring finger food to a grand gathering cocktail supper this evening to do but to think of asparagus. Today, even as I think about the falling dollar, blow-up of the Middle East, ceasing federal funding of abortion---our country's longest running bailout--- and assorted other things, I'm knee deep into cooking asparagus perfectly---3-4 minutes--chilling them quickly, wrapping in mock hollandaise sauce and prosciutto then putting them on a silver platter. Truth be told, I could eat dozens myself, I like them so much. Always try to take food I can eat, since I don't eat sugar or much flour. However, I do love a glass of dry red wine. Below an interesting presentation which is not what I'm doing, but appealing nonetheless.

5 comments:

mRed said...

I would like to see a picture with the mock hollandaise sauce and prosciutto. Which mock hollandaise recipe do you use?

Yes, I am a huge asparagus lover and this sounds great.

I do one with the asparagus marinated in tangerine juice (30 or so minutes on the counter), then blanch. Sprinkle with a light cheese of your choice (actually parmesan can be good as well), lightly salt and garlic and put under the broiler for a few minutes.

Webutante said...

mRed, just got home and took some photos of the asparagus, but after a lot of computer trouble this week, can't seem to download. Will keep trying and also post the recipe for the mock hollandaise in the morning. It's simple and truly wonderful.

Webutante said...

OK, mRed, here we go. Still having trouble downloading pics with my new camera. Nevertheless here are two simple recipes you might---or might not---like:

First: I've been asked for this mock hollandaise recipe more than anything I've ever fixed over the years. Simple, easy and a great accompaniment to everything: Please note, I'm not giving specific measurements, rather just telling you how:

MOCK HOLLANDAISE:

1. several spoons of Hellmans mayo in a bowl

2. begin to slowly pour while stirring in extra vigin olive oil to thin the mayo. Stop when you have the consistency that suits you. (You can also use melted butter instead of olive oil, but over the years, I've decided what I'm doing is just as good and much better for you.)

3. Now add condiments to taste and tang it up. Let your imagination be your guide. However here's what I do most: sea salt, lemon juice, dill weed. I do lots so it's highly seasoned.

Please note, never add mayo to the olive oil, it will curdle; you have to add oil to the mayo--always. I do this for asparagus, brocolli, pork roast, and salmon. Truly a wonderful, saucy addition, imho.

*****

The other thing I did with the asparagus last night was to make a sort of tossed melange of the following:

1. sliced (or cut with kitchen scissors) green olives stuffed with feta marinated in olive oil.

2. sliced roasted tomatoes with garlic (there was too much garlic in this for my taste after buying at Whole Foods)

3. cut up prosciutto (I'm sure you could also shave it off, but mine was already thinnly sliced and packaged at WFM)

All this I put in a bowl, tossed and put it on the tray somewhat like the photo on the post. In the middle I put the hollandaise in a beautiful glass bowl.

Again, you can do any combo like this with the prosciutto...it was just what I thought of.

It was a hit and a good time was had by all!

mRed said...

Excellent! Thank you.

Webutante said...

Most welcome....get to cooking!!