Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Have GIDS--Gwen Ifill Derangement Syndrome

Another idea: KEEP IFILL.
Phone 202 872-1020. Or you can e-mail jb@debates.org if you want Ifill out of Thursday's VEEP debate.

I admit I've come down with a case of Gwen Ifill Derangement Syndrome (GIDS). And I was so calm when I went to bed last night. It's rare that I pick up that phone to dial a number in protest. Or send an indignant e-mail. But this morning I've done both.

At first I thought it was April Fool's Day when I read on Drudge that the neutral moderator for Thursday's VEEP debate---none other than PBS's lefty employee, the taxpayers' employee, Gwen Ifill--- is releasing a book on inauguration day called The Age of Obama. Then I realized it was no joke.

This is being foisted on the American public with a straight face.

What's wrong with this picture? And what's with all the moderators for these presidential debates being lefties from MSM outlets like PBS (with taxpayers' dollars), NBC or CBS all clearly in the tank for the little messiah? Enough. What in the world were they thinking? Do they really see Ifill as having no conflict of interest here?

Michelle Malkin has the full rant with updates, so that I can lower my blood pressure sooner rather than later. Evidently McCain did not know about Ifill's impending book until now. This is an outrage and the fact that Ifill thought she could get by with doing the book AND being the 'neutral' moderator shows how far we've gone down the tubes with the MSM.

I hope you will join me in protesting this.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this could turn out to be a plus and blessing in disguise for Sarah Palin. If there is so much as a hint of a prObama question, Palin wins.

Gwen Ifill is on the spot and people will be watching her very carefully to see if her questions are truly objective. This could end up being a positive for Palin.

Isn't it intriguing that we find this out the day before the debate.

America cannot help but see the extreme bias of the mainstream media.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget also, if Obama wins, Ifill stands a earn windfall profits in book sales which gives her a huge conflict of interest.

Don't forget also, PBS is funded by us taxpayers.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with commenters elsewhere who suggest that Sarah should start by warmly congratulating Gwen on her upcoming book, "What is the title of it again?'

A gentle sense of humor is the best weapon against these people (fanatical worshippers usually being devoid of one), and should be applied without mercy :-)

Webutante said...

Absolutely best suggestion I've ever heard....and it just restored my sense of humor! Thanks.

Ellen said...

No room to complain. The McCain camp has negotiated a debate format that protects Palin from "too much discussion":
NYT:
At the insistence of the McCain campaign, the Oct. 2 debate between the Republican nominee for vice president, Gov. Sarah Palin, and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.

Webutante said...

When a moderator is rooting for one and gunning for the other, I say more power to the McCain people, Ellen....

William said...

Ifill's book also is about Colin Powell... sure this is just politics?

gcotharn said...

Good one Paul.

William,
When Ifill's book is coming out on Inauguration Day, she has a definite financial interest in an Obama victory.

The VP debate feels like a big ballgame. One can never predict the outcome - either way - of a big ballgame. Still, the anticipation is sweet pleasure.

Anonymous said...

"Ifill is a professional and I think she will do a totally objective job, because she is a highly respected professional. Does this help that if she has written a book that’s favorable to Sen. Obama? Probably not. But I have confidence that Gwen Ifill will do a professional job."

Sheesh, the perpetually outraged on the right are obviously not taking their cues from John McMaverick, who uttered the pretty sensible quote above.

But by all means, have Sarah Palin ask snarky questions of the moderator about her book. Gwen's follow up should be, "I hope you read it - if you have time, I mean, given that you read 'all the newspapers' every day."

Seriously though, I would have expected you to be absolutely apoplectic over this quote:

"We’ve gone through periods of our life here with paying out of pocket for health coverage until Todd and I both landed a couple of good union jobs," Palin explained to conservative talk show host Hugh Hewitt.

Who's the spokesman for a Soviet Gulag now???