Friday, July 22, 2011

Fly Or Drive

MEANWHILE, KEITH KOFFLER: DEFICIT NEGOTIATIONS BREAK DOWN (AGAIN) OVER TAXES

THIS IS SO COOL! If you have some time to drive and are willing to do some work, you might find this website helpful. In my case, I've decided to drive from Jackson, WY to San Rafael, CA soon (to be with my late friend's family ahead of her memorial service) for several reasons, including the exorbitant cost of flying in and out of Jackson Hole on such short notice and in the high-season of summer, a preference for driving over flying when possible and the flexibility of leaving and returning when I want. PLUS, I don't have to worry about getting groped in the airport! Sure crossing Nevada is not my idea of a day at the beach. On the other hand it's not forecast to be as hot there next week as crossing Kansas several weeks ago when the temps hit 111!

FLY OR DRIVE CALCULATOR

DOOR-TO-DOOR (each way From Jackson Hole, Wy. to San Francisco, CA)

Fly: 5 hours, 7 minutes
Drive: 1 day (12-hour day), 3 hours, 16 minutes

TOTAL COST

Fly:$1,200.00 Total Cost
Drive:$654.54

CO2 IMPACT:

Fly:1,304 lbs.
Drive:CO2 Impact: 1,938 lbs.

Your Trip: Jackson, WY to San Francisco, CA (edit your trip)
Driving Distance: 918 miles

HT: Carpe Diem

4 comments:

gcotharn said...

Wow. I have, in last weeks, frequently done physical activities in the heat, and have much enjoyed the challenge of and experience of being in the heat. Still, even I cringe at the thought of making your drive during the fourth week of July. Wow. I have made the drive from SF up through Sacramento, Reno, Salt Lake City, and into southern Wyoming. I, also, would drive, instead of flying, b/c I like to drive. But, that is a lot of hot! :)

Tregonsee said...

Thanks for the great tip! It turns out I am going out to San Jose, CA in late October for a few days on business. I want to combine it with my biannual 2 week vacation to Arizona and adjoining areas. Question: Should I drive all the way, or fly to Phoenix and rent a car for the wandering vacation and trip to SJC? I had spent a few hours on this, but this made it trivially easy to do. It turns out it is slightly cheaper to fly-drive, but having unlimited space for your travel toys, and not having to do with the TSA is well worth it.

Thanks,

Treg

Webutante said...

Greg, It is a lot of hot, but I do have air conditioning and will certainly use it! Know it's hot down there in Texas, hope you're getting some rain.

Webutante said...

Treg, as you're a former airline captain, I have to admit as I get older, I find flying less and less appealing, though there are clearly times to buck up and do it. Obviously I can't drive to Scotland. Still having the space and time to drive is a usually a treat.

In addition, if it's cold/flu season, it seems worthy of consideration so as not to catch and spread bugs.

Sounds like a great trip.