Thursday, May 26, 2011

Michelle Glams Up Fit For a Queen

MEANT TO POST THIS EARLIER, but life has been happening at a blistering pace today. I'm late to the Obama party for the royals---and now it's even later, as I wind down on my way to the SoHo for a weekend of fly fishing.

In a nutshell, I heart Mrs. O's dress and think she looks fabulous....Nothing is more beautiful, imo, or feminine than an off-the-shoulder design for a tres dressy affair. Add black and you're ready to entertain royalty.

Michelle looks like a mill. Like her hair. Love her sedate earrings. And hate to admit, I really like the unexpected, edgy necklace, even around the queen. It may be controversial, but I still like it.. She has the dress, the height to pull it off, and in this case she's successful. The Obamas are an imposing, attractive couple who own the world right now. (And I wouldn't vote for him---ever.) But they are a striking twosome.

7 comments:

CA said...

As for her Ralph Lauren black evening gown which she wore to the thank you dinner for the Royals, I thought the dress was stunning and flattering but that necklace was beyond tacky. It was just not appropriate (once again) to show up when QE2 is in attendance wearing an oversized, messy glob of jewelry. I am a firm believer that one should dress according to the way your hostess and attendees expect you to be dressed. (This is where Kate's background came into play. Nothing outrageous about her look and I do agree, she really needs a trim. ) In other words...look nice, elegant or chic, but for heaven's sale, blend in!!! What is it with MOB? Must she ALWAYS be the center of attention....making yet another inappropriate fashion statement?

Webutante said...

Come on CA, next time tell us what you really think!

C A said...

Sorry...I just do not like her style or for that matter, anything else about her. I guess I am just a Laura Bush kind of girl. Her outfits may be predictable, but always flattering and appropriate.

MOB needs to learn: "Less is More"

Di said...

The issue with the necklace for me is that (as is often the case) it looks like MO is trying too hard too look edgy and it simply looks sloppy, like a mass of tangled chains from the jewelry box that she just draped on. I don't think it's oversized, but it looks like junk, especially against the backdrop of the symmetrical dress. So, back to my comments on the other thread, when she has an opportunity to look elegant and striking she makes a bad choice and ends up looking tacky.

Webutante said...

Hmmm, between you Di and CA---who is also a fashion heavy-weight---the tackies have it!

I stand corrected about the necklace but again, am not offended by her asymmetic flight of feminine fancy... if it had been more traditionally designed, it would have looked like she was trying to be a royal. But I defer to you ladies opinions here.....

Di said...

To clarify, Webutante, I don't think she needed to resort to something traditional or even symmetrical -- not at all. INHO, the problem is not in the intent, it's in the execution.

I'm willing to concede it may have looked better in person.

Webutante said...

Your observations are astute and right on.

I think Michelle looks like she's having great fun and doesn't take herself too seriously. As to whether that's appropriate at this occasion I leave to fashion historians and you all to decide!