Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tennessee, Getting Redder

AND RED IS MY FAVORITE COLOR

Two things we can be thankful for here in Tennessee: First, Republican John McCain carried Tennessee with 59% of the vote. Democrat Barack Obama got 41% of the popular vote and only 6 of Tennessee’s 95 counties: Davidson (Nashville), Shelby (Memphis), Haywood, Houston, Hardeman (all west Tennessee).

Then, Tennessee Republicans captured both houses of the state legislature Tuesday for the first time since Reconstruction. This will have far reaching ramifications on the state, including the likely removal of the three Democratic constitutional officers who are elected by the legislature and have held on to their same jobs for decades.

Both House Republican Leader Jason Mumpower and Senate Republican Leader Mark Norris said Republicans want to elect a new secretary of state, state comptroller and state treasurer as soon as the General Assembly convenes in January.

This is a state of fiscal conservatives with the Democratic governor Phil Bredesen being a fiscal conservative or he wouldn't be here.

8 comments:

vanderleun said...

That's good enough for me. I'm putting Tennessee on my very short list of states to move to once I get shut of Seattle.

"I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It made the slovenly wilderness
Surround that hill.

The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around, no longer wild.
The jar was round upon the ground
And tall and of a port in air.

It took dominion every where.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,
Like nothing else in Tennessee."

Webutante said...

It would be to Tennessee's great benefit if you moved here. It's getting clearer to me that I could never move anywhere again that isn't red. Texas is a possibility, Georgia another. Not sure about NC, but SC is fine too. These economies are still vibrant and it doesn't rain all the time in the winter.

vanderleun said...

"It. Doesn't. Rain. All. the. Time. in. the. Winter."

Well, that got my attention. I don't know if I could survive not having moss grow on my skin five months of the year, but I'd like to try.

I could do NC if only because my brother's based in Black Mountain.

My 93-year-old mother always freaks out when I plan these long distance moves, but as I always point out to her, I am -- unless I live within 100 miles of Chico,CA -- always a day a way in terms of the air system, so what's the difference?

Webutante said...

Would it be a possibility that you bring her to Black Mountain with you and your brother and she could give me tennis lessons?

Webutante said...

Oh, and would you remember to ask her bring her boa?

Tregonsee said...

A few years ago when I retired I went about finding the perfect place in Arizona. Much to my amazement, I finally decided that while Arizona was a much more interesting place to visit, that Tennessee was a much better place to live. Days like this reinforce the validity of decision.

Rita Loca said...

Maybe I''ll move there too...

Webutante said...

What fun it would be to have both Gerard and Rita here in Redessee. And Tregonsee, G, might like Franklin where you are......was there this afternoon visiting friends who've moved from D.C. and love it.