Saturday, September 20, 2008

Space Shuttle Endeavour Now On Standby

In case the Atlantis mission to repair the Hubble Telescope runs into trouble and needs emergency help.

If you've never seen one of the space shuttles blast off I can only say it's one of the most dramatic and amazing sights anywhere. I was fishing with a friend in Florida several years ago, about fifteen miles south and inland from Kennedy Space Center the day of a scheduled launch. We knew it might be canceled due to weather and a small window of opportunity for launch.

As the day wore on the wind died down, we fished and almost forgot about the launch altogether. Then suddenly there was a flash and loud noise that could only mean one thing: the shuttle was blasting off. I've don't recall which shuttle it was, but will never forget the sight, the sound and the vibration of that behemoth rocket blasting off. No one moved as put down our rods and watched the lift off until it finally disappeared from sight minutes later. What a thrill I'll never forget!

photo WSJ

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's awesome isn't it?

When I taught, we teachers would always take our students out to the ballfield right before lift off so they could get a glimpse of the shuttle's take off. I assume most teachers in our area still do that to this day.

Did you know you can make reservations to 'Lunch With An Astronaut' on the day you visit Kennedy Space Center. I'd love to arrange that for Shane some day soon.

Webutante said...

What a cool idea to do with kids. I would have loved it Pam!

Anonymous said...

I have never had to chance to see a shuttle launch up close (an opportunity thwarted by a denied vacation in 1983 ultimately led to a new career shortly after), but I was there (on a beach in Titusville, FL) twice, in 1972, for the launches of Apollo 16 and 17.

An absolutely unforgettable experience; I can only feel sorry for those who have never been there.