Sunday, September 14, 2008

John Newton: "Amazing Grace"

For the past several days, I have been totally, deeply enthralled in reading and completing the recently published biography of former slave ship captain turned Anglican evangelical minister John Newton.

Entitled John Newton, From Disgrace to Amazing Grace by British author Jonathan Aitkin I have found it almost impossible to put down---as in not wanting to eat, sleep, blog or even be taken out to dinner over the weekend (went anyway). As I continue recovering from ankle surgery hobbling around on crutches and unable to drive, I find it an ideal time to read uninterrupted and reflect on some of the loftier things of life before getting back into the world soon.

This book which I just finished has left me spellbound and will leave a indelible imprint on my life and faith. If anyone doubts the transforming power of God and the Holy Spirit to turn the most debauched, dark and despicable life around, then I submit this book to his or her perusal. For garden variety sinners, like me, this book offers inspiration that I will likely be talking and writing about and hopefully living out for years. If you want a read that's a spiritual and physical adventure of the highest order and also a great love story, then give yourself this true story of enduring value. John Newton became an amazing human being in the course of an arduous and tortuous spiritual process over many years. For now, that's all I want to say until I reflect on and digest his story more fully. Yes, he wrote the famous lyrics to Amazing Grace. Yet, it's what he did, and even more what God did to get Newton to the point of gratitude and repentance that he could write such words that makes this literary work so important and instructive to all of our lives.



Thus says the Lord:
"Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the Lord, exercising loving-
kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight," says the Lord.
---Jeremiah 9:23-24

2 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Thank God for redemption!

Bob's Blog said...

I just told Sara about John Newton, and what God did. Thank you.