Sunday, July 31, 2016

Psalm 86: 14-17---A Psalm of David

DREHER:  BISHOP NUNZIO GALANTINO GOT IT ALL WRONG AS TO WHAT HAPPENED TO SODOM

READ Psalm 86: 14-17 (KJV)
14 O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them. 15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering*, and plenteous in mercy and truth. 16 O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid. 17 Shew me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, LORD, hast helped me, and comforted me.
LEARN FROM YOUR CRITICS. Proud men are attacking David, men who 'have no regard' for God (verse 14). Considering their character, verses 15-16 are remarkable. Instead of invoking God's justice and calling for his enemies' destruction, he turns the spotlight on himself. He appeals to God's mercy, grateful for His patience with him. David is open to correction, willing to examine himself to see if, despite his enemies' evil motivations, there might be something in him that warrants rebuke and needs to change. If someone is criticizing you and the criticism is mostly mistaken, identify the 20 percent of the indictment that is fair. Without excuse be willing to take it to heart. The strongest Christians are the ones most willing to repent.

PRAYER: Lord, you not only show us ourselves through your Word and through our friends. You also have messages for us that are carried by our critics and opponents. Give me the security in your love that I will need to profit from them. Amen.

The Songs of Jesus, A Year of Daily Devotionals In the Psalms

--Timothy Keller with Kathy Keller

No comments: