Sunday, July 10, 2016

@PJM: Black Lives Matter In Lee's Summitt Gets A Dose of Maturity, Good Information From A Credible Role Model

CHRIS QUEEN: NOW MORE THAN EVER BELIEVERS NEED TO SHOW THE (CALMING) LOVE OF CHRIST TO THE WORLD:  

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ 37 Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ 
 Matthew 25:34-40 (NLT)

 We are commanded to take care of each other. Jesus also calls us to love not just the ones who are like us, but also to love our enemies: You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. 44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. 
Matthew 5:43-47 (NLT) 

Jesus calls His followers to love and pray for ISIS, the cop killers, abortion practitioners, militant atheists, and so much more! In our increasingly tribalistic world, that kind of love is revolutionary. 
(And, yes, it's difficult.)

 THIS IS THE KIND OF THING THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. Good for ex-cop Richard Sanford who just happens to be black.

This from Debra Heine writing for PJM:  

The most peaceful of peaceful Black Lives Matter rallies took place Friday evening in Lee's Summit, Missouri, a conservative suburb of Kansas City -- perhaps because the organizer is a former police officer and Army veteran. 

Richard Sanford, dressed like he had just come from a backyard barbecue, told the assembled that the purpose of the event was to draw attention "to police brutality and injustice." But his message for the young protesters -- mostly high school kids -- was not what we have come to expect at a Black Lives Matter rally, where extreme, anti-police rhetoric is the norm. 

He began by thanking the chief of police and the mayor of Lee's Summit for being so helpful. Police had blocked off the street, and were keeping a lookout from rooftops to keep the peace. "All of the police officers that are here -- they're not here to intimidate, they're not here to harass -- they're here to protect all of us," he said, starting off on a very un-BlackLivesMatter-like note. 

"I tell my children all the time, if you are ever confronted ... by the police or any type of law enforcement official, I want you to cooperate as best you can," he advised the group. "I know a lot of you are saying that Mr. Castile cooperated...but let justice prevail and let the police do their investigation and find out what happened before everyone starts jumping to conclusions."

 The full article here.

No comments: