Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Back in Regularville---Light Years From Jackson Hole

SATURDAY: ROBER SPENSER---HOW MUSLIMS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE VERY FABRIC OF AMERICA UPDATE: HAPPY 102ND BIRTHDAY MILTON!
10 THINGS WINEMAKERS WON'T TELL YOU

ALTHOUGH IT POURED RAIN ALL DAY TUESDAY, AS I DROVE ACROSS WYOMING---6-7 HOURS AROUND YELLOWSTONE TO AVOID GOING THROUGH IT --to meeting friends in Clark near the Montana border--I already feel like I've landed in another universe.  Notwithstanding the 500 or so Hells Angels who are  convening in Cody this week,  it seems the tourist-scene is far in my rear view mirror.  I'm now in regular, middle-America again, where I belong. You can get a cheap cup of coffee here.

Although I'm committed to a near total blog-fast for the next 5-7 days,  I got talked into riding to Powell, Wyoming this morning with a friend and here I am in a wifi coffee shop with my little Dell laptop.  This is the sweetest, cleanest, slowest little town where mostly conservative ranchers and townspeople live and work year-round. It's not the center of political correctness, so I feel quite at home here.

Love it!  The sun is out and now all we have to do is wait for the rivers to come down and clear up, so we can do a little fly fishing.  We still have to watch out for grizzlies---though most of them are in the higher elevations to avoid the heat.  But on top of that, we now have to watch out for rattlesnakes---which JH doesn't have.  If it ain't one thing,  it's another, as they like to say in the South.

Also,  one of my men friends in JH just gave me a book on the Scots-Irish on American culture---Born Fighting---and I've dived into it like a swimming pool in 110 degree heat.  Terrific history lesson....so much so,  all I now want to do is read, read, read....and wait for the water to come down!

No comments: