Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thick Smoke, Fast Moving Fire Continues As East Jackson Prepares for Evacuations


AIR QUALITY IN JACKSON HOLE continues to deteriorate rapidly with the fires inching closer to town---as the ongoing summer heat and drought brings little rain and relief.  In addition, high day winds have brought a dangerous crisis to Jackson Hole and its residents not seen since the 1988 Yellowstone fires. Living through that carnival-like summer of fire, smoke, evacuations, tent camps and the invasion of thousands of firefighters---including air assault, helicopters tossing napalm bombs---one time was enough for me. (Have lived through many lesser fires.)

Since then, the advance of the pine beetle blight in the west has decimated thousands and thousands of acres of soft wood timber, only making conditions for larger, mega fires worse.

This summer of extreme fire, smoke and toxic air conditions was not hard to see coming with little snow in the Rockies last winter and less rain in the spring. I hated with all my heart to flee in July---which I've never done---yet the coming firestorm was obvious to anyone who's hiked the mountains and fly fished the rivers as much as I do.  I believe these conditions will only get worse in the years to come which makes me incredibly sad as I watch web cams and check in daily with friends.

These fires are nature's way of cleansing the dead timber and stagnant conditions before rejuvenation can eventually occur. But it will not fully return in our lifetimes. Like major floods,  it's terribly difficult when people are in the destructive path. Sadly, people are still throwing millions and millions of dollars at realtors here and other resort community in order to live in harm's way. Renting is now the only option for me after selling out of the market a while back.

As East Jackson prepares to evacuate on a moment's notice today, I pray for these people and their relief from the white-hot-windy conditions. I pray for rain, or better yet, an early season snow storm like the one we had in early September of 1988.

NEWS

No comments: