Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thuggery and Thievery: Tis The Season To....

GREAT TAMNY PIECE: GEN ZERO REPEATS GEN X


.....HAVE YOUR CAR VANDALIZED AND PURSE (OR OTHER VALUABLES) STOLEN. BE AWARE.  It happened to me Saturday.

Looking back,  it was probably overdue. I learned a good, rock hard lesson. Thuggery.

My training hikes in the park several times a week  always involve: parking car near a safe trail access, stowing purse under a blanket on the floor of the back seat, putting  car keys, cell phone and pepper spray in a small pack to take with me, locking  car, and hitting the trail.  I did it like clock work last Saturday  when I met a friend  to hike at 11 AM----though we met much later than normal----which may be pivotal since we usually go between 7-8 AM, long before most burglars have  thought of getting up to start their day of thievery.

We walked  two hours then returned to the parking area. She got into her car and drove off, while I dilly dallied around before getting into mine.  When I  finally unlocked my car and slipped my key into the ignition I noticed little shards of tinted glass all over the front dashboard and looked up to see if the rear view mirror had been damaged or fallen from its perch above me

Then it dawned:  Turn. Look back. Shatterered glass was everywhere.  Everywhere. Back window destroyed. Purse stolen along with drivers license, check card, national park pass, Costco card, and $45. Big rock on back seat.

I called 911. Waited an hour for a police officer. Called a friend who found my bank's customer service number to cancel my debit/credit card even before police arrived. Warned other  hikers at the parking area.

WHAT THE POLICE OFFICER TOLD ME:

A kind, burly, good humored black park police officer finally showed up. He told me the following most likely scenario:

1) Thief was likely a  man between 18-30 seeking extra money for recreational booze or drugs for the weekend. Sometimes a gang of thieves come in big groups from other cities and divvy up and work the territory for a week or two before moving on to other cities.

2) Thief/vandal staked out parking lot either sitting or lurking in tinted-glass car/SUV----or hiding in the woods on a nearby hill-- watching -the comings and goings of hikers who were mostly women.

3) He saw me drive up, stow my purse on the back floor, then leave the area with a friend. Thieves don't break into cars unless they know there's bounty to be had. They usually go for a woman's car in parking lots of parks,  rarely breaking in unless they know the sex of the 'victim.'  We all need to look around when we arrive somewhere to see if there's anything jumps out as suspicious.

4) Once the thief knew my purse was stowed inside, it was pointless for me to lock my car doors, since all it took was a big rock to crash the window and snatch it out.

LESSONS LEARNED

1) Leave your driver's license and credit cards at home unless you're going shopping, then pack it and take it all with you when you leave the car. If it makes you feel better, bring a copy of your license and several dollars in your pack.

2) Take out any and all valuables from the car, especially purses, expensive camera equipment, iPhones etc. Don't store them there on trips unless absolutely necessary.

3) Organize yourself and belongings while you're at home, rather than being seen regrouping by thieves in parking areas.

4) Leave your car unlocked and a window partially down to potentially avoid a broken window and shattered glass everywhere.

5) Carry a personal defense device with you at all times. I always carry pepper spray on the trail. However, the police officer said I should keep it---or a hand gun (!)---handy at all times, wherever I am.

On Monday, I got my license, bank card and damaged windows replaced. It was a time-consuming pain but had to be done. On Tuesday, I went back to the park a bit wiser for the lessons learned.

Now I may be a tad bit more savvy and ready for the long holiday season ahead. Hope you are too.

12 comments:

Caryl said...

Sorry to hear this. I have the same procedure--minus
the pepper spray--when I hike Poet's Walk. Now I know
better.

Webutante said...

Hey 2E!! We need to get you some pepper spray post haste! And go to Poet's Walk soon.

Miss you!

fraydna52 said...

The Warner Parks are prime ground for this criminal activity. A friend and I used to meet there almost every day for jogs/walks/hikes (now once or twice a week). Her car, in spite of being unlocked and containing no valuables, was broken into one morning and rifled through.

Your advice is on the money, so to speak. It is easy to get too complacent when you are in such a beautiful natural area, but the thieves know that the pickings are easy there.

Love the idea of bringing a copy of DL - thanks!

Webutante said...

Was in Warner Park off the Mossy Ridge Trail, Fraydna. I don't see it getting any better there either. However, I prefer to go early, early in the morning before when I think thieves are casing those red meat areas.....ugh!

Your Daughter said...

Hi Mom – I read your blog post and it was GREAT. Thanks for the tips … the only thing I would amend is to not recommend people leaving their driver’s license at home. If they are driving their car, it is illegal not to have a license. Should take it out and carry it with them and then remember to put it back into wallet!

Webutante said...

Thanks daughter. Either way, I'm keeping a copy of my license in the glove compartment. Would always have my license with me except for short trips to the park. Don't like taking my license out of my waller....too easy for me to lose. xx

Marie said...

We've had our car windows smashed out four times in three years - we live near Golden Gate Park.

Not one time was anything stolen. The thieves here smash your windows just to "shop."

I would not want to leave your car unlocked, as a bad guy could hide in there and carjack you, rape you, rob you when you get in.

Sorry this happened to you. It is an awful experience.

Webutante said...

Goodness, Marie, sorry to hear of your misfortunates.

Of course anything can happen, and if someone wants to get into our cars, locked or not, they will. I may keep mine locked and one window rolled partially down.

Bob's Blog said...

I am really sorry this happened to you. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Webutante said...

Thanks Bob, we live and learn!

fraydna52 said...

I meant to tell you that when we experienced the car break-in, my friend and I were there between 6 and 7:30 AM, so in our case being early was no help.

Anyway, I hope you don't have a repeat of that awful experience - stay safe!

Webutante said...

Thanks for that info...shucks! Thought I had a theory about thiefs sleeping late!....never mind!