Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New York Weather Miserable, Nor' Easter On the Way?

WEDNESDAY UPDATE: THINK THE WORST OF THIS STORM WILL SKIRT MANHATTAN AND THE COAST

THE WINTER THAT WON'T END

GOSH, JUST WHEN WE THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO use our the umbrellas and put away the snow boots, I come back to my Manhattan hideaway on the East side tonight to see the small headline on Drudge: Hurricane-force monster blizzard coming to the upper Atlantic on Thursday/Friday with winds up to 74 mph and snow up to 18 inches.

Surely this is joke, was my first reaction. And a very, very unfunny one at that. But it's not nearly April Fool's Day and the rain and wind tonight are howling like I've never seen or heard before. A Nor'Easter could surely be coming. It's not fair, I said to my computer, I left Wyoming in winter to get away from this nonsense.

But no. I re-read the news report:

A powerful storm of historical proportions is aiming at much of the Northeast Thursday into Friday and will follow up to a foot and a half of snow through Wednesday over upstate New York and western New England.This second storm will be nothing short of a monster. Even in light of the blizzards earlier this winter that targeted the southern mid-Atlantic, this may be the one that people remember the most this winter in parts of New England and the northern mid-Atlantic.At its peak, the storm will deliver near hurricane-force wind gusts (74 mph) blinding snow falling at the rate of over an inch per hour. For some people in upstate New York and eastern and northern Pennsylvania, this may seem more like a "snow hurricane" rather than a blizzard.Cities likely to be impacted by heavy snow for all or at least part of the storm include: New York City, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Scranton, Allentown, Reading, Williamsport and Burlington.

Historical proportions doesn't sound too good to me. Then I went into my Wyoming wilderness woman mode and called my children who were totally unaware of the impending crisis weather event.

You'll need to start provisioning now, as in tonight, I said. Got plenty of milk for the baby? Baby food, food? Batteries? Blankets? Prayers?

This could be serious. I'll try to blog it if I have power and will take some photos. But it sounds so ominous, who knows what will happen over the next few days.....Whatever happens, I'm not leaving my children and family, I do know that.

5 comments:

Rob said...

T'aint a fit night out fer man nor beast...

Stay bundled up, girl, and stay by the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgpHfQpYxl4

fraydna52 said...

Oh my, it sounds so familiar that the young people are unaware of an ominous weather event on the way. I'm glad they have you! I'm praying for safety, warmth, nourishment for everyone.

Webutante said...

Thank you for prayers Fraydna. It's true our kids aren't very aware of several BIG storms on the way of various kinds..it's mighty quiet around here this morning....we'll see what happens.

mRed said...

Keep all your batteries charged, including your inner battery, and know a whole bunch of us are praying for you and your family.

Webutante said...

Thank you so much mRed. Right now, it's looking like just a big snowstorm and perhaps not as severe as once thought. Still nothing to sneeze at. Will keep you posted!