Sunday, January 31, 2010

After the Snowstorm, Comcast Wireless Down Over Much of the City


AND WITH IT MY WIRELESS. It's been down since early yesterday afternoon and still is. Not that that's a bad thing. Actually being able to rest, read a book, nap and be quiet, enjoying this brief weather interlude, has been wonderfully restful and refreshing. Nature sometimes banishes us to silence, prayer and inactivity and no doubt has its own good reasons. Activity and hyper-activity will be back all too soon.

Many stores were closed yesterday in the wake of the snow which was not nearly as bad as predicted. Today my church called off services due to icy roads. I have to say I find the break in routine delicious and fun.

Woke up this morning and decided to try to find a place that still has wireless. It's a bookstore I rarely visit but can get to on fairly clear roads. I'm sitting in front of a large south-facing window with sunlight streaming in. Hope you're staying warm wherever you are. Thank you as always for coming by.

2 comments:

Paul_In_Houston said...

I can understand your desire for a break (I sometimes blame Alexander Graham Bell for the decline of civilization), but WHY is the wireless down in a snowstorm?

Aren't there enough towers and relays to provide some robustness?

I often whine about being being stuck with dial-up (because of finances), but I cannot ever recall being without phone service here (even during the worst of Ike, the phone service remained working).

So, WHY the frailty?

Just wondering. :-)

-

Webutante said...

Paul, I truly have no idea why this service is down in vast parts of the city. But it's been a nice break, proving once again, that we're not in control.