Saturday, October 13, 2007

Swooning Over J.M.W. Turner at the National Gallery


This has been a wonderful week for viewing art in both New York and Washington, D.C. for a country girl.

I'm neither a deep intellectual thinker nor a highly sophisticated/cultured artsy type. (Fly fishing and roasting vegetables are another story however.)

But I know what I like and dislike in the way of art, and this week I saw that distinction in sharp contrast and vividly glowing colors.

To wit, I attended the Rembrandt show at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC on Wednesday and left--I'm embarrassed to admit it---before I had finished the entire exhibit.

In all fairness to the Met and Rembrandt, I had walked some 20-30 blocks and was warm before entering the hot, crowded building. And was hungrier than I realized. But the grandeur of this great Dutch master, just didn't connect with me, in spite of my best efforts. I hope to try again one day.

Two days later, I could barely pry myself away from the J. M. W. Turner exhibit in the West Wing of the National Gallery in Washington, D.C. I left the building swooning, totally intoxicated with viewing his work, especially his watercolor landscapes on paper. Turner was first and foremost a watercolor artist who took up oil painting only to be taken more seriously and enhance his earning capacity as an artist. He was never a starving artist as he was both creative and financially resourceful with some entrepreneurial spirit thrown in.

But I digress: Turner's watercolor landscapes take my breath away.

So much so that as we left the exhibit, I couldn't bear to go with my good friend, Kay, on to the Edward Hopper exhibit in the East Wing. With all due respect to Hopper, it would have been like eating a pop-tart after a gourmet meal for me.

Indeed at the National Gallery in D.C., I found my one true love, one of the greatest watercolor (and oil) landscape artists and colorists of all time. And that was enough of an art meal to last me for quite some time.

It was as good, if not better, than flying to London and rushing to the Tate to see his work in his home country. If you have a chance, don't miss this exhibit if you have any inclinations towards Turner.

3 comments:

mRed said...

Boy can I empathize with you. Turner is outstanding. Absolutely fantastic. Hopper, in his own right, is very very good, but why put pesto on sorbet.

Good decision. Save Hopper for another day to allow the full savoring of an impish genius.

Webutante said...

Yes, yes, I know when I've savored a good and satisfying meal and it's time to quit feasting and let things digest, mRed.

Hope this finds you feeling stronger each day...all best.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I love his painting called "Ivy Bridge".

You have been one busy girl of late. So glad you've been safe along the way. It has been great *going around with you * on your travels via your blog.