Friday, April 15, 2022

The Veneration of the Cross

THE REPROACHES 

O my people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? Answer me! 

I led you out of Egypt, from slavery to freedom, but you led your Saviour to the cross.

Oh my people, what have I done to you?  How have I offended you?  Answer me!

Holy is God!  Holy and strong! Holy immortal One, have mercy on us.

For forty years I led you safely through the desert.

I fed you with manna from heaven, and brought you to a land of plenty; but you led your Saviour to the cross. 

Holy is God! Holy and strong! Holy immortal One, have mercy on us.

What more could I have done for you?

I planted you as my fairest vine, but you  yielded only bitterness: 

when I was thirsty you gave me vinegar to drink, and you pierced your Saviour's side with a lance.

Holy is God! Holy and strong! Holy immortal One, have mercy on us.

I opened the sea before you, but you opened my side with a spear.

I led you on your way in a pillar of cloud, but you led me to Pilate's court.

O my people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you?  Answer me!

I bore you up with manna in the desert, but you struck me down and scourged me.

I gave  you saving wa ter from the rockk, but you gave me gall and vinegar to drink.

Oh my people, what have I done to you?  How have I offended you?  Answer me!

I gave you a royal sceptre, but you gave me a crown of thorns.

I raised  you to the height of majesty, but you have raised me high on a cross.

O my people, what have I done to you?  How have I offended you?  Answer me!


No comments: