Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sunday, Amazing Grace For Mary Pope, My Dear Second Mother for 40 Years Who Died Peacefully Friday Night In Nashville At 93



A TRUE SOUTHERN ARISTOCRATIC LADY who---after my father died in McMinnville moved back to Nashville---refused to move to a fancy assisted living facility, preferring to stay in her lovely condo and be taken care of by several lovely, Christian black women sitters/family whom she loved and who loved her---Kim, Brenda, Rhonda---as well as her sons and other family.

Ours was a true southern family of Gothic proportions. After my mother died, my/our father remarried Mary Pope whose deceased husband Bob Crichton, a recovering alcoholic co-founded Cumberland Heights for drug and alcohol recovery with Dr. Thomas Frist. When my sister married one of our 4 step brothers (they were later divorced), the complicated extended family relationships got even more complicated.

My relationship with Popie remained steadfast through many ups and downs over the years. I spent incredibly rich and poignant time with her twice the week before I left for Wyoming. The two of us shared truths last week that seared my soul and relieved hers of many burdens in her last days---truth that set her free and gave me and our family the opportunity for healing, forgiveness and eternal, redeeming love.

May you rest in peace, dear Popie. I love you. Much more importantly, Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ loves you.
.

6 comments:

Tregonsee said...

May she rest in peace, and rise in glory.

Webutante said...

Amen and amen.

mRed said...

I can feel the love. God blessed both of you.

Webutante said...

Thanks mRed. I shall miss Popie.

fraydna52 said...

What a blessing for you to have the opportunity for those last conversations! My heartfelt sympathy and prayers go out to you.

Webutante said...

Thank you so much fraydna. One of the best things is I had the opportunity to apologize for some hurtful, immature thing I'd said years ago which she was still burdened about and wanted to set the record straight about. I owned it, apologized and she was so happy. We also prayed to our Lord together a sweet precious prayer as I left the last time not knowing I would not see her again on this side.

True, Merciful Grace.