Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hanson: Three Reasons For Optimism in America in Otherwise Dismal Times and Deffenbaugh: Family, Our Ultimate Idol

A wonderful and gratitude-provoking piece by Victor Davis Hanson writing at Pajamas Media which helps us remember how far we've come and why we're still the greatest country on earth.

*******

Since Easter is coming soon and I'm feeling the leading, I want to post a commentary on part of Luke 7 written by one of the finest Bible scholars anywhere. His name is Bob Deffenbaugh and he writes on the subject of Making Hamburger of Our Sacred Cows. If you're so inclined take time to read the whole thing. Of course, one of the greatest sacred cows we all have to following Christ is the idol of family. But we are told over and over nice as it sounds it's no excuse when we're being asked to put God at the top of our heap. It's a message I need to read and remember many times.

An excerpt:

Following Jesus requires leaving; specifically, it requires leaving home (and often alone as the sole follower in one's family---editors note). Foxes have holes; that’s where they live. That’s where they have a foxy little fox and a little lair of foxes. Isn’t that what it’s all about for a fox? Birds have nests, and what is found in nests? Mamma birds, eggs, and then eventually little baby birds – that’s home. Jesus is saying to this man, “You don’t really understand what you’re saying. In order to follow Me you must be willing to leave everything behind, even what you call ‘home.’”......

Let me point out that every single excuse for not fully following Christ in our text is related to the home or to the family. Let me repeat this again. Every excuse for not following Christ in this text is due to a higher level of commitment to the home or the family. I think that is significant. The first man says, “I will follow you wherever you go,” and Jesus says, “Following Me means having no place to call home.”

Oh,” the first man seems to say in response, “well that’s a different matter.” The second man says, “I will follow you, but first I have an obligation at home. I must first bury my father before I can follow You. My family must come first.” Jesus says, “No, I must come first, and the preaching of the gospel must take priority over buring the dead.” And the man seems to respond, “Oh, well that’s a different matter.” The third one says, “Jesus, I most certainly am going to follow You, but the least I can do for my family is to go say good-bye to them.” Our Lord seems to respond, “It’s them or Me.” Jesus says in response to all three, “You must choose Me, or them, but I will not be followed by half-hearted disciples.

Heavy duty and hard stuff for the soul, in my opinion. Do you have something God is calling you to do, or not do? And are you putting that before what you know in your heart of hearts you need to do? No half-hearted commitment is in truth a commitment at all. That's tough stuff to swallow in this anything goes world. When Bob writes and does Bible commentary, I listen. But not always happily. Ultimately it's about our priorities, the priorities of our heart. And what they are and aren't, we can never, no never, hide from God.

Again, if you're so inclined and called, take time to read the whole thing. It's truly one of the great things about the Internet: the most amazing Bible commentary available everywhere, all the time. And often the convictions of our hardened hearts follow and begin to soften towards Him.

No comments: