Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dessert First

Years ago, before I became enlightened, I snubbed the mere mention of figs. I simply couldn't be bothered. Since then I've eaten my words in spades. Falling in love with figs taught me never to say never. I love them just off the vine, dried, with peanut butter, in fruit/nut crisps, and pressed into a 'cake' like the one above.

Here we have a small slice of pressed fig cake served with Drunken Goat Cheese and topped with Pure Raspberry butter (pureed raspberries). You can make up your own combos, but I like to pair it with a hard, fairly sharp white cheese---I'm completely over soft cheeses of all kinds---and with the tangy wallop of raspberries. There's a complexity of tastes that I find interesting and satisfying, especially after eating turkey or chicken.

A meal finale like this requires only a small serving of each, but is power packed with taste, color and energy. It's great with coffee or espresso.

As I said earlier, this is free of wheat, flour, white sugar and dairy if you forgo the cheese. The raspberry butter is optional too. It won't leave you singing the sluggish blues the next day like most traditional desserts which taste so good on the front end and leave you wallowing in lethargy on the back. It requires no preparation time, except for hunting and gathering at something like a Whole Foods Market.

Pressed figs are also great as breakfast fare, and especially when the temperature drops.

Remember, loving figs means never having to say never.

More cooking early in the morning. Hope to post a couple more recipes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: