Friday, June 25, 2021

Picking Early Huckleberries and Riding The Mule


WE SHOULDA DONE IT YEARS AGO, BUT I hate to spend big money, so I put it off and put it off until I couldn't any longer.  This week,  our logger/business partners came to the Kawasaki dealership outside Nashville and took our new Mule to its mountain home in Warren County.  Yesterday, daughter Anne traveled with me to test drive this cool little beast and see what it can do.   We have wild and rough timberlands which my grandfather and father bought after the American Revolution (Ha! just kidding, but you get the picture).Then they did almost nothing with it for decades except a little walnut harvesting.  The mountain property we own is the main view from the town square of McMinnville, Tennessee and my father wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that gorgeous view or risk the public outcry that would ensue if he did.  So he told me before he died,  'Jane, you figure it out and do what you think best.  But watch out for all the rattlesnakes!'

Gee thanks dad! 

So I inherited it with my sister, had it surveyed over several years time, then divided it to avoid too much joint ownership. My sister eventually sold her land to the highest bidder before blowing the scene with her most recent husband with whom she is presumably enjoying the good life in more civilized North Carolina.

Meanwhile, back at our wild timber lands: Quite by accident I met a wise master logger who said I needed to face the challenges and start dealing with proper management of this land.  I told him I didn't know where to begin and I would need supervision.  His reply,  'I'm your man as soon as I can finish another job. There's no tract of timber anywhere that I'd rather work.'  He was a man who spoke with authority and had two very able-bodied, smart sons who could do anything and fix anything. So after mulling it over for several months, I said, 'OK, let's give it a try.'

That was almost eight years ago and today this managed hardwood forest is transforming into a beautiful uneven age stand for the next generation to take care of and enjoy.  

With God's help,  we are making progress with an eye on the downtown view of the mountain.

I finally decided to spend a little savings to buy The Mule. Thursday my daughter (driving above with logger and renaissance man Paul)  dropped everything and went to the mountain with me  for a spin.  There is a 1,400' elevation gain from the base, so we need ample horsepower. We got it and a cool breeze that kept temperatures fairly moderate. And for dessert we had some just ripen huckleberries,  being careful to avoid  snakes.

My son will bring his family up next and see how it goes! Can't wait to get back there with my grandchildren soon and let them drive our new Mule!

No comments: