Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Do You Have Hurricane Anxiety Fatigue After Harvey and Irma? This One's For You


MEET TOM HORNER OF TAMPA, FLORIDA.  He lives in his Chevy Impala for the past year. He was near the gas station when the hurricane blew into town. So what did he do?

 Mark Puente of the Times has the story:

MAN LIVING IN AN IMPALA RODE OUT IRMA INSIDE A CAR WASH 

Tom Horner wanted to make sure he could get gas for his Chevy Impala, his home. In fact, the 60-year-old was sitting in his wheelchair next to a pump at a Thorntons convenience store Monday  though it was still closed.

He had no idea when it would open.

"I only have an eighth of a tank," Horner said. "I can't get anywhere."

Horner, who said he has been living in his car for a year, rode out the storm nestled in the car wash at Thorntons at Starkey and Ulmerton roads.

"It was sturdy and had concrete walls," he said. "It wasn't the brightest idea, but I had nowhere else to go. I was scared to death when all the transformers blew."

He said he doesn't like shelters.

"They have too many rules," he said, rubbing his hip. "I don't like people telling me what to do."
He said he plans to sit at Thorntons until it opens. He said he ran his car all night to keep the air conditioner running.

"I'm stuck without gas," he said.
My kinda guy. Wish I could buy Tom a tank of gas when Thorntons finally reopens.

No comments: