Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chillin' in the Warm Desert Sun


IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME how as little as three days of sun, songbirds, saguaros, sleep, steep mountain climbs mixed with stillness and prayer can completely restore me. I've been coming to the desert for over a decade, though certainly not every year. Still love it and find it recharges my batteries in the midst of winter grayness back East.

Call it the vitamin D factor. Whatever, it works for me.

This year, beside the retreat center I come to, I'm adding an old, authentic guest ranch for several days starting Sunday down by the Mexican border where I can ride and hike to some new places in the high desert chaparral. It's an area I've visited long ago and I may not be able to get cell or wifi coverage, but we'll see.

I also find when I deeply relax, I am less interested in what's going on in the world and somehow, mercifully take consolation it goes on without me or my two cents worth. Having said that, I will add some links below with very short commentary. Thanks as always for coming by.

BIGGEST YAWN OF THE DAY: Santorum says Satan has his sights on the USA.

No really, this is news? And the lead story for Drudge? All I can say is it much be a dreadfully slow news day! Any Christian who believes in Satan and the fallen state of man, cannot in any way argue with this. But this statement by Santorum has been news since the founding of our great country and probably needs repeating by men and women who have the courage to step up and say it. We live in a fallen world and it ain't getting any better. I personally think Santorum is brave to state the obvious and probably knows it will cause outrage---outrage I tell you!--in the secular, atheist world.

Time to take a nap. Zzzzzz! More at the WSJ.

NOT NEWS, BUT STILL WORTH NOTING--PROGRESSION OF THE ENTITLEMENT GENERATION @ Tim Challies:

Jack Chambless is Professor of Economics at Valencia College. Every year he starts his class off by asking his students to write a 10 minute essay on what the American dream looks like to them, and what they want the federal government to do to help them achieve that dream. He describes this year’s results:

About 10% of the students said they wanted the government to leave them alone, not tax them too much, and let them regulate their own lives. But over 80% of the students said that the American Dream to them meant a house and a job and plenty of money for retirement, and vacations and things like this. But when it came to the part about the federal government 8 out of 10 students said they wanted free health care, they wanted the government to pay for their tuition. They want the government to pay for the down payment on their house. They expect the government “to give them a job.” Many of them said they wanted the government to tax wealthier individuals so that they would have an opportunity to have a better life.

Professor Chambless’ students belong to the “Entitlement Generation,” also known as the “Gimme Generation.” They think they can have and should have whatever they want, whenever they want, and from whomever they want it, while others pay for it.” Or more simply, as one Occupy Protester painted on her placard, “Where’s my bailout?”

ALSO: Welfare State Should Not Be A Middle Class Subsidy

Hey, how bout just getting gas prices down? That's all the subsidy we really need.

I LIKE IT, LIKE IT, LIKE IT: Dr. Alan Meltzers 3 Laws of Regulation @ Carpe Diem.

Remember the private sector is always smarter, faster more flexible than the public sector aardvarks that want to regulate and tax us to death.

FRANKLIN GRAHAM ON THE GOP CANDIDATES:  Mitt Romney would make a good president, but he's not a Christian. THEN Graham says he thinks President Obama gives Muslims a pass.  I agree.

 REPUBLICANS IN TENNESSEE DECIDE AGAINST INTRODUCING A BILL---'Don't say gay.'
How embarrassing and radical can conservatives get?

3 comments:

Caryl said...

Beautiful photograph! I miss you and our hikes.
So glad to hear you are relaxing. And please
pick out a horse for me at your next road stop.

Webutante said...

Wish you were here...it's far too quiet! Have fun frying other fish. Didn't bring any jeans for the next venue so I'll have to make do and probably mostly hike!

Kristen said...

Glad you are enjoying yourself!
And re: the whole entitlement generation thing...where is all this money supposed to come from?!? I don't get it...
XO