Friday, February 1, 2008

I Disagree with Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin About McCain



UPDATE: Reasons we're gonna vote for McCain in the fall and love it.

Though Ann Coulter apparently comes to her quite emotional diatribe here based on sound conservative principles, as is her right, she goes too far overboard in my opinion. Michelle has voiced similar concerns. I beg to differ with these bright and outstanding conservative women. McCain is not Darth Vader.

While neither McCain nor Huckabee are my first choices for president or VP, I prefer, like Newt Gingrich, to deal with reality as it presents itself and go from there.
Again, I am not ecstatic about John McCain as the front-runner. But I'm not going to vote for Hillary or Obama under any circumstances. And I hope I'm not going to throw a hissy fit because McCain is the candidate.

An important question for me remains, who would our enemies and detractors most like to see us elect in November? Least like us to elect? I can't see them cheering for McCain nearly as much as, say, Obama.

5 comments:

Marie said...

I am very discouraged about the extreme bratty behavior in my Republican circles over the possibility of McCain being our nominee. As you say, he's not Darth Vader, and has plenty of good points. I wish some of his detractors would grow up! Ann Coulter REALLY disappointed me.

Webutante said...

yes, agreed, Marie, and there are no perfect candidates. McCain is the one the dems are most afraid of too....

Unknown said...

I promise I won't be bratty. ;-)

I won't go as far as Coulter or Malkin, but on many of the issues I regard as important, McCain is way out in left field on those. (i.e., his failed Amnesty Bill, the refusal to make the tax cuts permanent, McCain-Feingold, his puzzling animosity towards the business world, etc.) If McCain is the Republican nominee, then it's my firm belief that the GOP has left me high and dry. The Republican party, with McCain as the leader, is nearly unrecognizable to me, and certainly doesn't represent me, I'm afraid.

In my view, if I were to vote now, the options would be Liberal vs. Liberal. Blech.

Anonymous said...

John McCain voted with the Republican party 87.7% of the time in the current Congress. Sens. Mel Martinez (87.7%), Lindsey Graham (87.6%), Lamar Alexander (87.2%), Thad Cochran (87.1%) and James Inhofe (87.1%) voted similiarly to McCain. Liberals all?

John McCain has a 0% voting record with NARAL. He earned an 80% rating with the Americans for Tax Reform in 2006. John McCain supported the interests of the National Taxpayers Union 88% in 2006. He supported the interests of the business-Industry PAC 80% in 2006. He supported the interests of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce 100% in 2006. He supported the interests of the Club for Growth 100% in 2007. He supported the interests of the Traditional Values Coalition 80% in 2006. He supported the interests of Concerned Women for America 100% in 2005-2006. John McCain supported the interests of the National Education Association 0% in 2005-2006.

This list could go on and on, but you get the idea. John McCain is as much a liberal as Teddy Kennedy is a conservative.

Unknown said...

Vienna:

The key line in my comment was, "...but on many of the issues I regard as important, McCain is way out in left field on those."

On these key issues, he's too liberal for me. There is a reason the MSM adores him.

I appreciate what you're saying, but you won't find too many true conservatives that are happy he's got the inside line to the nomination right now.

George W. Bush isn't conservative either, but he was a better choice than McCain was (and is). There are many problems I had with the current president, and I think I'll disagree with many more items that McCain supports.

Any way you slice it, the conservative movement has been sailing without a captain for quite some time now, and it's adrift in the doldrums.

Personally, I think there will be a Democrat in office by January 2009.