Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Giving New Meaning and Depth to the Word Glower

TODAY IT'S GLOWER, TOMORROW MOLE!

EVERY NOW AND THEN I SEE A PHOTO AND A VIVID WORD OR PHRASE---that I may not have thought of in years----hits me like a ton of bricks. Today's photo of President and First Lady Obama---who are evidently not amused with the White House guest chef Rick Bayless of Chicago tweeting from the First Kitchen the upcoming lavish State dinner with Mexico---- instantly brought the word GLOWER to mind. A fit?

And just so there's no confusion, I'll let Dictionary.com do the rest:

glow·er
 /ˈglaʊər/ Show Spelled[glou-er] Show IPA
–verb (used without object)
1 .to look or stare with sullen dislike, discontent, or anger.
–noun
2. a look of sullen dislike, discontent, or anger.

Origin:
1350–1400; ME (Scots) glowren to glower; akin to MLG glūren to be overcast, MD gloeren to leer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invented by the Scots, perfected by Michelle.....PRICELESS!

4 comments:

From The Hen House said...

Glower: If looks could kill

mRed said...

A glower from Glascow? My aunts have got some glower down, but My Belle has the market on everyday glower. I believe your example is her midday glower. I don't ever want to see her good morning glower. That would cause an all day in my office with the door closed so I could muster a little glowering myself.

She scares me.

Webutante said...

Think she could balance the federal debt with that look....

mRed said...

Maybe not balance, but possibly melt it.

WV: tople, how very appropriate,