Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday, Attending Brooklyn Tabernacle Prayer Service Last Tuesday in New York


AFTER RECENTLY READING TWO of Pastor Jim Cymbala's books on the supernatural, transforming power of prayer which chronicles some of the many of amazing experiences he's seen over the years at Brooklyn Tabernacle where he pastors---I decided to go to one of their world-famous Tuesday night prayer services while in New York City last week.


While it wasn't easy leaving my children (who had no interest in going with me) or G-boy for the night and finding my way to Brooklyn on the subway from the upper East side, I have to say nothing prepared me for the absolute joy and spiritual grace I found there in the company of believers.

Have you ever sensed the Holy Spirit's presence the instant you walked into a place? I felt it for the first time when I entered McLean Bible Church in Tysons Corner over four years ago. Later I felt it at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NYC too. And since then in other churches I've attended. But Tuesday evening at Brooklyn Tabernacle, it hit me like a powerful, quickening wind the minute I walked in and sat down. It was as if something was alive there. People were fully engaged and focused on God and prayer. It woke me up instead of putting me to sleep, as so many liturgical services and sermons of old had done.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have gone there last Tuesday. Before the service with Jim began, hundreds of people went down to the altar for one-on-one prayer with members of the church staff and prayer teams. They take prayer very seriously there. I went down to pray with them too. Profoundly humbling and touching.

I can only say, if you're in New York and want a true Holy Spirit experience, then go to either the Sunday or Tuesday evening prayer services. I truly believe you will never completely be the same when you leave. I plan to return every chance I get.

Here are some links to several of Cymbala's sermons:

A Slippery Slope

Quitting on Jesus

1 comment:

TheiaT said...

I've been there on multiple occasions, and I believe those services are the closest thing to Heaven on earth. So many nations represented there...worshipping and praying in Spirit and Truth. Yes! It is indeed life-changing:)