Saturday, October 24, 2009

Red Pepper Spray and Chili Powder

IT'S SUCH FUN WHEN EVERY NOW and then I'm in the right place at the right time to really help someone in a meaningful way. It happened this afternoon when I ran over to Kroger's for some chili powder for the pot I'm making. The young black woman charged with the awesome task of sacking my three packets of chili powder saw my key ring with a miniature canister of red pepper spray attached and asked plaintively, Where did you get that mace on your key ring for protection? I need some because I go to the bus stop alone late at night. How much does it cost? Where can I get me some?

I told her it was not mace but red pepper spray and that she needed a little larger version than the one on my key ring---the medium size (but not my industrial grizzly bear edition) for her late night waits at the bus stop. I said I'd gotten it either over the Internet or out west. Then I asked if she ever ordered anything over the Web? She looked disappointed and said she didn't think she could do that.

Well, in that case, I told her, I'll run home and see if I have an extra one laying around in one of my drawers or backpacks. When I got home, I found one in the first drawer I opened---the perfect size for her fram and her needs. I grabbed it and ran back to Kroger's where this 18-year old was still sacking.

I handed it to her and said it was a gift from me and warned her to be aware of how the wind might be blowing so that it wouldn't blow back into her face if she ever had to use it. She was ecstatic and thanked me profusely. Then she came around a shopping cart and threw her arms around me. I was touched but most of all glad I could provide this young woman with a small bit of self-protection on dark nights when she is alone at the bus stop after a long day at work.

Wish I could do something this helpful every single day for someone, don't you?

Below, after the red pepper spray comes the chili. It's better the second day and even better the third, but, alas, it never lasts that long.....

4 comments:

gcotharn said...

Peppery post.

Webutante said...

!

Rita Loca said...

Hot stuff!
I feel better for the young lady knowing you helped her! And I would love to try that chili!

Webutante said...

Thanks, Rita, I'll put the basic recipe in the comments in the morning when I have a little more time.