Monday, October 26, 2009

The Devil In David Letterman

UPDATE: Former staffer for Dave on why she resigned from working for his show
I'VE NEVER BEEN A FAN of Dave, and liked him even less after his drubbing of Sarah Palin and her family. So when he revealed recently that he was being extorted for having an affair with a female staffer, I wasn't so much surprised by his confession as intrigued by its irony.

Here before our eyes was a pot who'd been calling quite a few kettles black for years.

Tonight, while cruising the Web after being away today, I saw a link at Big Hollywood to this piece on the saga of Dave, and ended up reading the whole piece in New York Magazine. It's well written and frankly I found it fascinating.

So I thought I'd link to it here: The Devil in David Letterman.

Dave's world, like that of so many rich and famous, of course, is an enclave of specialness, secrecy and isolation from the flotsam and jetsam of the world. I can't imagine envying it in the least and also don't believe anyone could be shocked by reports of his infidelity and the many temptations he succumbed to over the years. I'm quite sure his life and his marriage---if not his ratings----are in deep crisis today. Only time will tell how it all plays out.

One thing is certain: Dave can no longer point his judgmental, witty finger at others with impunity again. That holier than thou attitude won't hold water with his audiences, if it ever did. I was never a fan of Dave. And now, I have zero interest in tuning in for his next ironic monologue.

No comments: