Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday at McLean Bible Church: Attempt Great Things for God

SERMON IN VIDEO

IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE me when I drive into the gargantuan parking garage at McLean Bible Church near Tyson's Corner, Virginia, just how many people come to church there each week for every service. Running a little late as I dashed out of the District this morning, I thought I'd have an easy time finding a parking place for the 9 am service.

But I couldn't have been more wrong. As I entered the covered parking garage off Route 7, I was stunned at the number of cars parked and empty. That observation was only reenforced when I walked into the main sanctuary---packed---and saw literally thousands of people starting the worship service.

This was the same congregation I walked into in early February, 2005 as a social, nomimal Christian who knew not one soul in this church. Someone had recommended I try attending McLean while I was in Washington. Within weeks, I had a deep and profound salvation---some call it born again---experience and I knew my life would never be the same again. I immediately felt the Spirit of God there and surrounding me in a way that is very hard to describe.

For weeks and months, I sat there in the third balconey and listened to pastor Lon Solomon preach the Gospel of Christ as I'd never heard it preached before. I was completely mesmerized by the message of salvation I had certainly heard before, but now was hearing it with a heart and mind being opened by God. I truly got it during that time that I was a sinner---there was really never any question---and that Christ had indeed died for me and in fact the whole world. I got it that I could never, ever earn my way to eternal life in heaven, no matter how good and accomplished I or others thought I was. I really got it that Christ did the atoning work for me and all I had to do was to believe and receive this gift in faith with the help of the Holy Spirit.

The next year, in February, 2006, I went on one of Lon's tours to Israel with my daughter and we were both baptized by him in the Jordan. My life has never been the same, and at times it's been tougher than I could have ever expected.

Today, over four years later, I cannot under-estimate the gratitude I feel for God's grace or for bringing me to McLean in 2005. God has graciously enabled me to return fairly often---as I go to and fro from Nashville, Jackson, WY and New York City---so that I can get refills of the first church of my heart and soul. While I attend a wonderful church in Nashville and Jackson, nothing helps mold my faith like McLean Bible Church with no-nonsense Lon at the helm, as well as Redeemer Presbyterian with Tim Keller in New York City. I'm a very fortunate woman indeed!

ANYWAY, today I heard Lon talk in person on the Good Samatian. But it's not posted on the web page yet. So I'll post last week's sermon until the one today sermon is up. Hope you have time to watch and listen. It's always an inspiring message from the Word of God.

No comments: