Saturday, April 25, 2009

Scenes Of Spring and New Green Across America

GOING GREEN ON I-68



IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to describe just how beautiful this country is to me, especially as new greens--in grass, budding leaves and wide swaths of fields and forests---sprout up everywhere across mid-America. It's truly a sight for sore eyes, my sore eyes included.

After spending all day in a conference in Louisville, Kentucky on Thursday, I decided to wind my way east a new way-- to Columbus, Wheeling, then Pittsburgh eventually dropping down to DC for a few days (before continuing north to the Delaware River country.). But instead of going all the way on I-70, I decided to take a side trip outside Pittsburgh south onto I-79 into West Virginia for a few miles and then continued east on I-68 across western Maryland, eventually rejoining I-70 near Hancock, Maryland. I know, it's far too much information. But there's a point here.

As you may know by now, I travel a lot in my car and on the interstate system. So I'm always happy to discover a new stretch I had not seen before and be utterly thrilled by it. So it was yesterday in Western Maryland from Morgantown, WV all the way to Hancock, Maryland.

I was wowed for several hours at the splendid terrain of this spectacular drive on I-68---the undulations of elevation gains and losses and the perfect mix of forests and fields for almost 100 miles. I-68 has to be one of the most beautiful interstates I've ever been on, and I've been on many beautiful sections. I cannot begin to imagine the cost of building this one, as it gains and loses elevation from about 1,200' to almost 2,500' at least a half-dozen times. At one point it goes up to the Eastern Continental Divide, before dropping down again and again and again before reconnecting with I-70 on to Fredrick and eventually Baltimore.
All this to say, if you have or can make time to travel this little gem of a stretch of mostly sparsely traveled road, by all means do it. And if you're fortunate enough to do it in spring, consider yourself blessed. This country is breath-takingly beautiful, and vast and fortunate! And for history buffs, there's more Revolutionary War, as well as Civil War history along the way than you can shake a stick at. (Think Cumberland, Maryland and George Washington's first outpost during the French and Indian War, the Battle of Antietam, and Little Round Top north off I-70 at Gettysburg, PA. Makes me swoon just to think of it!)

Interstate 68. And more.

5 comments:

vienna va said...

Hmmm... a good use of federal dollars? One that increased employment?? And gives access to National Parks and Battlefields??? Say it ain't so! Sounds awfully communist to me.

We take that road when we go visit my husband's family members. The visitors center on the eastbound side is pretty nice. The cut the workers made in the mountain is amazing...

p.s. My little Obamabots are Jr. Rangers at both Antietam and Gettysburg. The Park Rangers there and the Battlefields are amazing. Have you seen the new visitors center at Gettysburg? Another good use of federal tax dollars, I'd say.

Unknown said...

It is gorgeous! My cousin attended WVU in Morgantown and was a starter for the Mountaineers all 4 yrs. of college. His girlfriend lived in Baltimore, so I'm sure he's familiar with that particular stretch of interstate!

Last summer, I was wowed with our drive from FL to WV. I LOVE the mountains! and the valley views! My roots you know! I'm so happy you enjoyed your drive. I'm actually a little jealous! I'd love to be there right now!

Rita Loca said...

Its so odd as we are entering fall here.

CB Story Crawler said...

I just found your blog and thought I would leave a comment about this little ditty. Years back, when I was going over the road in a big truck, I ended up on this road going from the DC area toward Cincinnati Oh. The thing I remember was that the greater percentage of it was either going steeply up or down a mountain, beating up my trucks engine and brakes. I think I averaged 4 mpg if I was lucky on that section of the trip. needless to say i did not use that piece of road frequently. On the map that road is straight as an ace, but if you turn it on it's side it's one of the twistiest roads in America.

Webutante said...

Welcome and thanks Chris for your comment. That stretch of highway is very up and down.

If you want follow a recent post---this is an old one---please come to webutante07.blogpost.com

Best wishes.