Monday, January 25, 2010

Me, Monday Afternoon Quarterback

IT'S A VERY GOOD THING my home wireless router crashed and completely flamed out during a wild thunderstorm sometimes during the night this weekend when I was already scheduled to spend a full day Sunday afternoon/evening with the NFL, AFL and all things pro football. Only a brief trip to Whole Paycheck after church for my Sunday post saved me from complete online deprivation and un-connectivity. But I'm not complaining, pro football filled the gap.

Today, I'm still waiting for Comcast to come and attempt to get me back to normal online functioning late this afternoon. For now I'm back at Whole Paycheck (with very slow internet) trying to keep from being distracted by friends so I can write a few words about all that I've learned about pro football in the past 24 hours. It will be mercifully brief because I know almost nothing. And what I learned yesterday from a very, very fine football tutor will slip out of my little female brain very quickly. Still, I'm rather pleased of my new found knowledge and think I can fake knowing more than I do in polite conversation and talk moderately intelligently to a group of third graders ahead of the Super Bowl in February (forgot when, but think early).

Right now, the names Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Pierre Garcon, and of course Brett Favre are etched in my gray matter. Sure I'd heard of some of them before, especially Peyton who played at UT, but in the course of human events couldn't have told you much about any of the rest of them except they played some kind of pro sports.

Today I have opinions, hopes, aspirations and favorites for the Super Bowl. And I'm so proud of them. Very quickly I want to tell you what they are and yes, it's okay if you don't care.

My tutor wanted the Colts (check) and the Vikings (no check) to win their respective games and be paired up in the Super Bowl. He said it would be the biggest SB in recent history. While I'm sorry he didn't get what he wished for, I have to say, after all was said and done and the Saints and Vikings went into overtime, I couldn't have been happier that the Saints came out victorious. What a great night for New Orleans! I mean how could anyone really root against the Saints in their home stadium after all their city has been through the past few years? I got goose bumps seeing the whole spectacle! The Saints played well and I really think that even Brett Favre---with the truly remarkable year he's had at 40 with Minnesota---in his heart-of-hearts was extremely happy that his childhood pro-favorite team won. He must have been very conflicted going into the game. I certainly would have.

Anyway, this ends for now my Monday quarterbacking. Oh, except to say Pierre Garcon is a man to watch. It was nice seeing him stand up for Haiti and I wish the Colts well in the Super Bowl. But I haven't picked a winner yet. But stay tuned, this sports commentary thing could be the start of something, well.....very small!

No comments: