Thursday, March 20, 2008

Solving Global Warming: 21st Century's Biggest Ego Trip


A PROBLEM SO VAST THAT ONLY CELEBRITY ENTREPRENEUERS AND POLITICIANS CAN SOLVE TOGETHER AND ALONE IN FARAWAY PLACES WHILE PARA-SKIING OVER THE OCEAN AND DRINKING THE WORLD'S FINEST WINES.

I'm not a believer in the fundamentalist cult of man-made global warming/climate change. Nor do I suppose that any changes which may be happening to climate here on Earth can be affected by man to any degree whatsoever. It's fine if we want to buy a Prius or change some light bulbs, if it makes us feel better. It's even okay if my goracle neighbor around the corner wants to lug into to his property full-grown trees and tie up traffic in all directions for hours to make him feel greener, more powerful, more in control of his destiny. To each his own, I guess. It's just when the global fundamentalists want to tell me what to do.

With all this I predict, there will be more self-important expensive, energy consuming, celebrity "spiritual" retreat/vacations and weekends in exotic places all over the globe, over the next few decades than could ever fill the pages of Travel and Leisure and all of its rivals combined. After all the world is "on fire."

Read more . This too is worth a look.

I have no problem with this actually. Guys will be guys and all of them need a new and refreshed sense of grand purpose. In order to have that purpose, they need to have a BIG problem in front of them that requires a BIG solution. An intractable problem. A problem so vast that only the perceived best of them, the richest, most beautiful, most powerful and popular can really have any shot at fixing it. Without such a global challenge, whatever would they do with the rest of their lives, after all? Thank heavens Al Gore has served up such a challenge to these men.

In all events, please let it be known that I am happy, as a citizen of the world, to have these men and women to solve any problems that they want to. As long as I have the right to accept or reject it. Meanwhile, go for it guys!

One other thing. I am not, at this point, interested in having Jimmy Wales solving my problems or those of my planet Earth. After the last several weeks of reading on the Internet about his myriad problems with women---his divorce, sexual addiction, the many women he is befriending on his MySapce page---I'm more interested in his solving his own problems than mine. When he does that, then maybe he can turn his sights elsewhere.

2 comments:

Bob's Blog said...

As usual, very well put.

Unknown said...

I found the links fascinating.

I too wish to retain my right to agree or reject what is fed to me. Great post Web. You're awesome!