Monday, October 22, 2007

A Political Moment, Then Changing the Subject This Week

There are only a few things I can blog about with some small authority (and I will get to one of those this week). Other things I blog because I'm interested in researching or find them fascinating to write about and give my attention to.

When I blog about politics, I'm doing it from a sense more than anything else.

Take, for instance, the gut feeling I've had for months that Hillary will be elected the next President of the United States. Rudy, Fred, John and Mitt---however fine they come across as candidates---will never be elected, no matter how much they spend, how good they look, how smart they come across or how much I wish it to be otherwise.

I believe the country is ready to experiment with a woman in the White House, and why not a woman who's already spent eight years there? To be sure, Hillary was there only as First Lady. Nevertheless she knows her way around to some extent and this is and will be reassuring to the American people.

In the end, I believe no matter what the facts, what the scandal, Hillary's election will be primarily an irrational decision by the American public and will be based on familiarity more than style or substance. Even though it may get embarrassing, we know what to expect from Bill. And will undoubtedly keep talk show hosts in the money for years.

I woke up this morning to see that my sense is shared by others, far better informed than I.

I quail to think how much time, effort and money will be spent to change what I see as inevitable. Of course, there could always be unexpected acts of God that may drastically change the political landscape, for instance, Bill Clinton getting sick, or dying. A mega-nuclear event, or some other catastrophic happening that in a moment would change the course of our lives and history as we know it. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, just ask Mr. "I'm-A-Dinner-Jacket."

But short of that happening, I believe it's Hillary all the way, and there's nothing we, or even Al Gore, can do about it. So hold onto your wallets, swallow hard and get your house in order for whatever comes from Hillary in the White House, starting in January of 2009.

We might as well go on and get it over with.


**********




On the other hand, I must say this gives me great hope for America. To think, Jindal was elected in Louisiana. Maybe it takes intense suffering to elect someone like this.

Read this recent New Yok Times article on Jindal.

5 comments:

Luther said...

'Web'... Must you depress me so early in the morning :)

I think you may be on to something here. The only caveat I would offer is... if we are hit with another large attack in the interval. Thereby forcing folks to take a more realistic view of events. Otherwise, yes, we may be entering an era that will someday be regretted... that is if it isn't too late by then.

Webutante said...

Luther, I totally agree with you.

Anonymous said...

If Hill is prez ---woe is the country. The repubs have to get their act together. We have the good guys but they do not seem to know how to win. Hill and Bill have the combination. Not sure how we will survive 8 more years. I would rather have Gore and I am not fond of him.

Anonymous said...

I'll take that bet! I think it will be Anyone But Hillary.

October 23, 2007 1:38 AM

Anonymous said...

I hope against all hope that you're right, anyone but...