Thursday, October 23, 2014

Anything Better For Getting East Coast Beltway Fumes and Ebola Panic Out of Your System Than A Great Hike?

PLEASE JOIN ME IN PRAYING FOR DR. CRAIG SPENCER

THE ANSWER IS NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

 
HAVE BEEN BREATHING CARBON MONOXIDE FUMES FROM THE EAST COAST FOR OVER A WEEK. Loved every minute. But today it was time to leave.

There's absolutely no where I love to hike when on the road than where the Appalachian Trail (AT) crosses I-81 near Fincastle, VA north of Roanoke.  It doesn't get any better. A 5 mile hike with more than 1,000' elevation gain cleans and clears body, mind and spirit, if you can  strategically plan getting to the trailhead early enough.
.
Today was cool, crisp, sunny and breezy and I was  ready for the  fall climb. What more can one ask for?  Except time to give thanks to the great Creator for His amazing spectacle.

 
Here's a map for anyone who wants to see exactly where this fabulous trail is off the Interstate.  Very quickly you get away from the maddening crowds and into the natural world.
 And Friday, another great hike with a group I love to hike with from Tri-Cities, Tennessee:
 

6 comments:

Jason said...

Can you tell me where the trail head starts here? It looks like a beautiful trail.

Webutante said...

Jason, I just put a map on the post. Take exit 150 off I-81 onto 220 going north, Trailhead parking is almost immediately on your left (be careful crossing traffic). If you can't find it, go up to the Howard Johnson Motel on your left and ask for directions to the trail since so many AT hikers stay there....you might also be able to park there during the day. Have fun,

2E said...

Were you wearing a new scarf by any chance?

Jason said...

Thank you! My wife and I met you at Luton's near Grand Teton a few years ago. If you are ever in the Greenville, SC area, we'd love to show you around, especially some of our hiking trails.

God Bless.

Webutante said...

Thank you, Jason. What a nice offer. Funny, I've kept up with several families from our meetings at Lutons over the years, including the Deltoros from LA. It would be fun to reconnect at some point.

Thanks you and God bless.

Jane

Webutante said...

2E,

I've fallen down on sending a selfie of the scarf. Will do soon, but no, I did not wear the scarf on the hike.

Is Catherine still in my room in Rhinebeck? If so, tell her she needs to go back to Brooklyn....xxoo

Great seeing you in Tribeca Monday. Didn't we have fun!