Thursday, March 10, 2011

My To-Do List Won Today

THE LAST TWO DAYS have been non-stop busy. I got to the computer last night to watch a webinar with The MadHedgeFundTrader over an early dinner, only to fall sound asleep looking at commodity charts while sitting up in a comfy chair.

Today was just as busy with a long to-do list. One of things at the top was getting a huge cluster of sweet gum balls raked and disposed of at one of my rental houses. I manage my own properties, and can tell you they can sop up some major time. While I hire good people to help me when necessary, in the beginning, middle and end, I've got to supervise and ultimately be responsible for getting things done so the cash flow continues.

This time last year, I was having to take one of my renters to court who violated our contract and brought in three---THREE---pit bulls onto the the property. It was a long saga which ultimately took two court appearances, both of which I won, and much emotional energy. My lawyer was a fly fisherman and wouldn't charge me a dime, so I bought him a gift certificate at a local fly shop. (He also said he never planned to go back to General Sessions court ever again and so he hoped I would never have to relive that adventure.)

Before I got these renters-from-hell evicted, I would receive phone calls from people in the neighborhood afraid to walk on their own street for fear these killer dogs would leap through the electronic fence and attack them. Thank God I finally got them out.

Today sweet gum balls seem innocuous in comparison. But have you ever stepped on one of these things barefoot? Not an appealing thought.

The best thing about being so busy was I didn't have time to risk seeing Charlie Sheen go berserk on my computer screen again. It's the little things I can often appreciate most.

2 comments:

Sandie said...

Why do retnql properties - too much brain damage1

Webutante said...

Yes, my friend, but it's great exercise at times!!