Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sunrise on the Colorado/Kansas Line

DROVE INTO COLORADO FROM KANSAS very early this morning with a grateful, happy heart. I was listening to Brazilian Cafe and drinking a cup of coffee I'd made in the microwave of a cheap motel this morning---the last motel room available in Goodland, Kansas when I rolled in late last night, so sleepy, I could have slept in my car or on the floor for lack of a bed.

Tonight, I'm truly exhausted on the beautiful Eastern slope of the Rockies. It's windy, cool and a good night for catching up on much needed sleep before going on to visit friends in Grand Junction Tuesday.

Driving across the country in uber-heat with the afternoon sun blaring in your eyes---and staying alert---is a real challenge at this time of year. Add to that a substantial elevation gain and it's even harder. No better time to fast and drink lots of water and sips of coffee. Leave the carbs, starches and sugars alone on drives like this.

No comments: