Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Good Night's Sleep

I was met Monday morning as I landed in Edinburgh after a fitful and short night's sleep flying over the Atlantic, by my soon-to-be lovely daughter and son with a big hug and a cup of black, hot coffee. It just doesn't get any better than that.

As the wonderful day wore on greeting and even hiking with new family members, I tried in vain to hold my eyes open. In the end, the call of the bed triumphed early last night and I fell into a deep slumber which must have lasted 11-12 hours.

What I can say this morning unequivocally is that a good night's sleep is one of the greatest joys in life and so necessary for mental/spiritual health and well-being. We live in such an age of restlessness and hyper-caffeination. And to be able to sleep regularly, fully, deeply is a gift beyond measure.

And now for a full day of discovery in a new/old land. The weather is crisp, cool and sunny and daffodils are blooming everywhere. Baby lambs are in fields of green in Perthshire.

5 comments:

Luther said...

Sounds great 'Web'... and you are so right about a good night's sleep. I can almost remember the last time I had one. Alas.

Anonymous said...

I have some ideas to post later on better sleep, Luther. It is tough.

Marie said...

She's "soon to be" lovely? :) Had to joke.

I wonder how many mental health cases could be solved by normal diet, no stimulants, a good night's sleep, daily outdoor activity, and no tv.

All the same, coffee is one of the favorite parts of my life.

Anonymous said...

Good catch, Marie, and yes, pass the the coffee, please!

Bob's Blog said...

I'd be cutting all the daffodils, and putting them in vases all over the house!