Sunday, October 14, 2012

Gospel Humility

CONTINUING PASTOR TIM KELLER'S BOOK THE FREEDOM OF SELF-FORGETFULNESS:
GOSPEL-HUMILITY is not needing to think about myself. Not needing to connect things with myself. It is an end to thoughts such as, I'm in this room with these people, does that make me look good? Do I want to be there? True gospel-humility means I stop connecting every experience, every conversation, with myself. In fact, I stop thinking about myself. The freedom of self-forgetfulness. The blessed rest that only self-forgetfulness b rings. True gospel-humility means an ego that is not puffed up but is filled up. This is totally unique. Are we talking about high self-esteem? No. So is it low self-esteem? Certainly not. It is not about self-esteem. Paul simply refuses to play that game. He says, I don't care that much about my opinion---and that is the secret. A truly gospel-humble person is not a self-hating or a self-loving person. The truly gospel-humble person is a self-forgetful person whose ego is just like his or her toes. It just works. It does not draw attention to itself. The toes just work; the ego just works. Neither draws attention to itself.
---Pastor Tim Keller, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Manhattan


No comments: