Saturday, August 25, 2012

Walking the Balds of the Roan Mountain Highlands on the AT Last Saturday


EVERY BALD GOT HIGHER AND HOTTER

THIS IS A MAJOR GORGEOUS AND STRENUOUS HIKE---all 13.5-15 miles and 2,500' elevation gain of it. But today as I hiked with the incredibly fit Johnson City hikers, terrific as it was, I thought it was way too hot and humid for my taste.

It's a hike I will do again in cooler weather rather than August mainly because we climbed in blazing sun with no cloud or tree cover much of the  way.  I was so hot at times I had to take off some of my underwear which helped.  You also have to carry tons of water.

Some of these hikers do extra electrolytes for sustained energy in this kind of heat and humidity.  I plan to follow suit next time. Had to settle for a good, restorative Epson salt bath.

I'm sore and exhausted but feel great I was able to do this bun buster.

4 comments:

gcotharn said...

a bun buster! Way to go.

Webutante said...

...bring on the cool!

Kristen {www.buckupbuttercup.net} said...

Looks gorgeous!

Webutante said...

Hi Kristen, it IS gorgeous....you and your family must come walk it with me one of these days. Loving your darling pics of the children!