Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Grizzly Grizzly Fishing Story From Russia That Makes Me Shudder

SOMETIMES A BLOGGER HAS TO DO WHAT A BLOGGER HAS TO DO. This is the one I hate to post; actually the one I can't help publishing.

I should entitle it But By the Grace of God Go I. I say that because I've had more than my share of up-close-and-personal grizzly encounters over the years, as have several of my friends---in and around the Bridger-Teton Wilderness of Wyoming where these magnificent animals still roam wild and free. But if I never see another bear---grizzly or otherwise---it will be too soon.

I always carry bear spray when hiking and fly fishing and now mostly go out with experienced fishing/hiking partners---preferably off-duty park rangers---who are bear savvy and equipped for most eventuality.

Still when I read this kind of thing on Drudge, I go into cringe mode.

This is a frightening story! It happened in Russia to a young girl and her step-father who apparently had been fly-fishing, left a rod on the river, then went back to retrieve it. They never returned, as an anxious sow grizzly with three cubs killed them both---one slowly and the other instantly with a blow to the neck. The young woman who died slowly was able to use her cell phone to call her poor mother and report what was happening.

Can you imagine being the helpless mother on the other end of the line, listening to this horrific ordeal of her daughter, then desperately calling her husband and getting no answer?

One of the finest fly fisherman I know in Jackson Hole is leaving this weekend for a 10-day fishing trip in Russia. I'm sure he and his companions/guides are aware of the dangers and will be cautious and armed. Still, it should be a sobering, cautionary tale.

You can read this sad, sad story here.

2 comments:

gcotharn said...

So, you prefer to fish Wyoming with off duty Park Rangers who are "strong fishermen", and by this you mean: physically strong enough to snatch me from the water, and also fishermen??

Webutante said...

...er, yeah, something like that...!!