Monday, February 25, 2008

No New Territory for Old Men in Hollywood

I did not see the movie that won the Academy award for best picture last night in Hollywood. Nor will I.

I will say that without even one exception that every person who saw it made virtually the same comment to me: "Do not go see it. It's without a doubt the most violent, depraved, depressing movie I've ever seen. As far as I can see, it has no redeeming value. None."

Even before hearing all these personal reviews, I had determined not to go. I am neither sophisticated nor evolved enough emotionally, spiritually or culturally, to watch a movie, or read the book, of such vast and dark renow.

Is it any wonder that the Academy is fast becoming obsolete outside of a very small, out-of-touch group of narcissistic, elite intelligentsia who prepare and endlessly enjoy eating their own refuse?

1 comment:

EPIBLOGUE said...

Well... I certainly found the movie problematic. However, as a friend of mine emphacized the real world is full of unhappy endings. Still, if I want to see reality, which may be the redeeming value of the movie, it's portrayal of reality, I'd prefer to see An Inconvenient Truth. Violent, depraved, depressing, undoubtedly, yet the movie depicts the underbelly of society we all would rather believe does not really exist. If you prefer to ignore it's sad commentary on life, I strongly recommend avoiding this Oscar winner...