Sunday, September 2, 2007

Labor Day: And the Winning One Fly Is....

We fly fishermen and women frequently like to ask each other the following question:

If you had only one or two flies in all sizes to take around the world to fish for trout (or other fresh water species) what would that one fly be?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth: My favorite fly, year in and year out, in all sizes---#8 through #20--is a little dry called the Parachute Adams (above). Basic, sweet, visible, classic and truly successful.

And the runners up on my list: the Parachute Hopper (a steak to a trout), Fat Albert, and a Beadhead Wooly Bugger (for underwater) in that order below:






Sure there are other great flies in my box of tricks, but these are the most consistent big fish catchers I know. So what's your favorite, if you have one?

And speaking of one fly choices, next weekend, the second weekend in September, is the greatest annual fly fishing contest in the world in Jackson Hole, Wyoming aptly named the Jackson Hole One Fly.

It's by invitation only and the two-day contest, requires you to pick one fly each day to fish, rain or shine. If you lose that fly, you're through for the day.

It's a stunningly fun contest which I've had the privilege of fishing several times, and by Grace only, have never lost my fly. Here's a link to some of the winning flies in past contests.

2 comments:

Bob's Blog said...

My Dad was a fly fisherman. Every summer we would load the family in the Buick and head for the Rockies. Dad would be in the river, and I would be nearby playing imaginary games in the woods. As for fishing, I never got past the worm stage.

Anonymous said...

Well there may be time, Bob, in another chapter of your life. Then again, fly fishing is not for everyone. The important thing is being outdoors with family, friends.