Sunday, September 9, 2007

Jeremiah, The Weeping Prophet


Here's a link to the story of Jeremiah, the weeping prophet in the Old Testament. And here and again here.

His was not an easy message to hear. His was not an easy message to give. But give it he did and suffered greatly for his obedience to God and God's will for his life. Jeremiah was sent to grieve for a people who had lost the gifts of remorse and repentance. But though God was about to discipline Judah, he was always gracious and told of future redemption through His chosen prophet:

Jer 29:10-14 This is what the Lord says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity."

***********

Another wonderful piece I read this week at a new link I've added to my blogroll, thanks for Mike at OneYearBible Blog, is over at Tim Challis' blog. This piece is about how ministers and writers often wrongly play the "it's God's will" card for their advantage and others' great detriment. It's titled "Bludgeoning with Divine Providence." Well worth reading and noting, in my opinion.

1 comment:

Catherine-Grace Patrick said...

Girl, you Go! I so admire your writing and it is evident that it is both God-breathed and inspired! Thank you for your wonderful wisdom and for this fabulous (and very HELPFUL piece! When I read it (and then your profile) I immediately knew I'd like you! May God continue to mightily bless you for your courage, your heart for The Lord, and for your tremendous sense of humor! Blessings, Catherine-Grace in San Diego, CA.