Monday, February 1, 2010

Tale of Three Outfits At the Grammys: The Best, The Statuesque and Undead Worst


WHERE HAS THIS DAY GONE? Promised myself I'd be back at the computer much sooner but the day ran away with me. Anyway, I'm back and fading fast into dreamland. Still, I've looked at a few of last night's Grammys fashions and want to post several pics with comments. Honestly I didn't see much of anything I liked. In fact from Beyonce to Slave-driver Mary Blige, I was left cold and uninspired with the exception of three outfits below which I'll briefly comment on:

HANDS-DOWN BEST DRESS of the Night: Lea-Michele shows off a drop-dead peacock blue feather and silk kicky-pooh dress. She's brings in all the all the right stuff to go with it---beautiful hair, great gams, skin and shoes to make her the cutest female of the show. The best part is this dress is kicky pooh fun to wear. Adorable! Now go out and tango in it! Letsomeof those feathers fly ever whicha way!
Compared to Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift looks like the Queen of England. But an icy queen. She's beautifully coiffed and handsomely put together. I like the dress, almost love it but don't as well as I'd like to and don't quite know why. Still in a large field of duds, Taylor comes off a nice second to Lea, above.

When I see someone like Brittany arrive in a get up like this for a fairly formal occasion, I go swiftly into my Words Fail Me mode. Because when you haven't anything nice to say, isn't it better not to? Still, I'll just whisper a few parting shots under my breath: Under-dressed, over-exposed, unappealing, underwhelming, immodest, ill-begotten and highly distasteful. Next time, my dear, how bout looking like a lady rather than a trollop? Or like you're on the way to the beach? At least try. Is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

gcotharn said...

The kicky pooh is awesome: exactly the sense of fun I love to see. Is "kicky-pooh" something you just made up? Or a well known description?

Taylor Swift's dress draws attention to her dramatic hair. The dress is the best friend her hairstyle ever had.

I've only seen some photos of Taylor Swift, and this is the best I've seen her look. B/c she has a small bosom, the gap in the dress ought, ideally, be juuust a little tinier - maybe one to two inches tinier. We want a hint of what lies underneath. We want our appetite whetted. Instead, we get a tiny bit too much information, and in a way which is not as flattering as it could be. I compare too much gap to too much perfume. We need a bit less information, and more hinting which draws us in.

Webutante said...

Yes, very perceptive. As a man, you always seem to nail it in ways a woman can't, Greg....

As to kicky pooh, it certainly came from somewhere and I could have heard it before, though I can't remember where or when. All I know is that phrase kept coming up in my mind as I was writing, so I finally surrendered and went with it! Love it!

Rita Loca said...

Taylor Swift wins in my book, but I agree that something seems to be missing.

Webutante said...

Perhaps it's a sense of a little more liveliness in her pose we're missing? Too much of the staged stone statute look perhaps.