Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Storm That Never Was In New York City

FRIDAY UPDATE: I MAY HAVE SPOKEN A BIT TOO SOON. A SMALL BLIZZARD ARRIVED IN NYC DURING THE NIGHT, HOWEVER STILL NO WHERE BAD AS PREDICTED

HAVE DECIDED ACCU-WEATHER IS FIRST COUSIN TO AL GORE when it comes to scary weather/climate hysteria.

This was the 'storm' that simply amounted to almost nothing---so far.

No doubt it came ashore somewhere along the Northeast coastline and is playing havoc in many areas inland from Maine to West Virginia for which my heart goes out except they've got cross-country skis and can have lots of fun with it all once the storm has passed. However, from my perspective in the City, this was a slushy non-event. It's been rain mixed with snow all day as temperatures hovered right above freezing all day and winds---which were predicted to be hurricane-like---have been calm, unlike night-before-last when it was miserable to the n'th degree.

I realize we may still have a rough night ahead and all hell could break loose in the next eight hours. But, honestly, I just don't see it happening.

Meanwhile, us womenfolk spent the day playing with babies, Skyping with relatives in England and making lentil soup and casseroles for the next few days. It was great fun and relaxing!

Still, if the weather doesn't get too nasty in the next 12-24, or AMTRAK doesn't get stopped for weather, I just might wind my way back down to D.C. soon and who knows, back to Tennessee to regroup before the second baby arrives, hopefully in mid-April....when the tulips are blooming on Park Avenue and I can wet a line on the Delaware River with the guys in between burpings.

I don't take anything for granted and give thanks for this wonder time with family. But I'm learning to be flexible.

No comments: