Sunday, November 23, 2008

Surprise! And We Thought Today Was The Baby Shower

Life has an amazing way of happening in spite of our best laid plans. I came to New York early Sunday to attend a baby shower for my beautiful new daughter, seven months pregnant. By the time I arrived at Penn Station, the baby was on the way and nothing anyone could do could stop him.

Now, he's here! He's a little baby boy, two months early, but we think and pray he's healthy and going to be fine. My son says he came out screaming. It's better than a baby shower! I'm on my way to Beth Israel to see them and him now. God bless this child, now 4.5 pounds, and his happy, exhausted parents. November 23, what a perfect day to be born! If you have an extra prayer to spare, then please send it their way. And thank you.

UPDATE: INTERESTING THEORY, My son tells me that every---with emphasis on every--- baby born Sunday at Beth Israel Hospital was premature. He thinks it's because of all the stress in the world financial markets etc over the past few months. Sounds possible to me: both my son and daughter-in-law work in the financial sector. But I have another theory: it's an early, yet another reason to be thankful for God's incredible goodness, no matter what happens from here on.

15 comments:

Rita Loca said...

I just stopped by to let you know I was praying. Congrats!

Webutante said...

Thank you for your continuing prayers, Rita. We are greatly blessed and while they're not out of the woods yet, I sense things are looking as good as they possibly could at this point.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the arrival of your grandson. That is just
wonderful and I look forward to some progress reports!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Yes, I'll join you in praying for this precious little baby. Joy to all!

Webutante said...

Thank you, thank you!

Anonymous said...

"My son says he came out screaming."

Had he just been told the election results? :-)

Bye the way, Congratulations.
-

sherry said...

Sweet congratulations on the birth of this wee one. Precious.

Webutante said...

thank you, he is precious and not out of the woods yet. But every day he has on this earth is a gift, as is every day we have. Please keep him in your prayers if you can. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Lin, says- Our daughter Stacie was born on Sunday, November 23,1970. She weighed 5lbs. 11ozs.,She grew up to be a lovely wife and mother. May God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

"and not out of the woods yet."

Web:

I apologize for the lame and stupid attempt at humor in my previous comment. I hadn't realized how serious things were.

Please feel free to remove it, if it is out of place here.

I will pray for him.
-

Webutante said...

Paul, I have a pretty thick skin and frankly, we need a lot of laughter---all of us---at this point. The worst case scenario is taking ourselves too seriously....not to worry and thanks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all. I visit families with babies in NICU to offer support & encouragement and know that it can be quite a roller coaster experience. I'll be praying that your little guy has a lot more ups than downs. He sounds like a good-sized guy for his gestational age - that's a plus!

Webutante said...

Thank you so much, fraydna. He is in a wonderful NICU unit at Beth Israel and getting such good care. Thank you all for your prayers. There's no greater gift---ever.

Anonymous said...

Web, congrats on your new grandson!! Glad to hear he is getting good care at Beth Israel - it's one of the best hospitals in the city. What did your son and daughter-in-law name their new addition?

Webutante said...

His first name is 'William' like his father, grandfather, great, great-great...though he's not a junior or III, thank goodness. What he'll be called is anyone's guess.