Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sunday--The Original Serenity Prayer

5 WICKED WOMEN OF THE BIBLE YOU MAY NOT KNOW
AFTER CHURCH TODAY, I LUNCHED WITH MY ADORABLE DAUGHTER. 

IT'S SEVERAL DAYS AHEAD OF HER BIRTHDAY. I always like to hear what the real---not just superficial---issues are in her life. Today I added, anything special you want for your birthday, Daughter-O-Mine?

She was very quick and forceful in asking for two things: One, a girly, fashion item, a request that's easy to find and fulfill.

But second and more importantly, she asked me to find and have printed and framed the original Serenity Prayer. She said, "Mom, it was once on your blog, and I went back to look for it but couldn't find it..." Will you please find it and frame it for me?"

This is the kind of request any mother loves, loves, loves to find and fulfill. It's a prayer we all need daily, hourly, and sometimes minute-by-minute.  Certainly, I do.  It's the stuff of  real life and maturity.  I believe one of the greatest breakthroughs in life is realizing we're sinners in need of a Savior, and that we can't make it on our own.  We need God.  We need Christ.  We need the Holy Spirit.

So here, without further ado, is the full Serenity Prayer for all to read, meditate on and be changed and matured by, one day at a time.  Happy Birthday, Dear Daughter:

The Serenity Prayer

The full text of the original "Serenity Prayer" written by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)

GOD, grant me the serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change,

Courage to change the
things I can, and the
wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as the
pathway to peace.

Taking, as He did, this
sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it.

Trusting that He will make
all things right if I
surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy
in this life, and supremely
happy with Him forever in
the next.

Amen

 Also,  I saw this on Tim Challies site and  think it goes well with the full Serenity Prayer:

September 27, 2015
Be kind to Your little children, Lord.
Be a gentle teacher,
patient with our weakness and stupidity.
And give us the strength and discernment to do what You tell us,
and so grow in Your likeness.
May we all live in the peace that comes from You.
May we journey towards Your city,
sailing through the waters of sin untouched by the waves,
borne serenely along by the Holy Spirit.
Night and day may we give you praise and thanks,
because You have shown us that all things belong to You,
and all blessings are gifts from You.
To You,
the essence of wisdom,
the foundation of truth,
be glory for evermore.

(A prayer of Clement of Alexandria)

No comments: