Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Institution of Language

More on the basic institutions of society---language, marriage, money and measures, for when two or more individuals gather together----and why it's time to stop and think long and hard about what changing any of them for any special interest or minority group means.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment on the above truck. I am in compassion fatigue over special interests wanting--- demanding---our country's bedrock institutions be changed for their interests.

And yes, I'm talking about changing the definition of marriage. I'm not so much against gay marriage as I am against messing with the basic building blocks of my culture, my society. We're playing with real chaos and confusion when we start diddling with these institutions. Change one institution for any one interest group, and we open the floodgates for changing all for various reasons.

Heard another great expression yesterday on compassion fatigue: it's called empathy deficit disorder. Sometimes it's not such a bad thing.

Again, rights are for individuals. Institutions are not for individuals. Institutions for the Greater Good of Society and should never be open to change to appease a small, minority group of people. We do so at our great peril.

4 comments:

Bob's Blog said...

I am glad you had your camera handy. I am even more glad that you had the other hand on the steering wheel!

Webutante said...

Every now and then a photo so perfect comes along, Bob. Saw this as I passed this truck on the Interstate and it was going so slow that I had to get off at the next exit, so I could get behind it again in order to get the shot. Not a great one, but the point is well taken.

Unknown said...

Hey I'm liking those two new buxx phrases - Compassion Fatigue and Empathy Deficit Disorder!

I'm in 100% agreement with the statement in the photo you took. My husband came to this country knowing very few words of English. He knew the importance of assimilating! He admits he is more American now than Mexican! We are both aware we are seeing less and less of what "American" really means these days!

Anonymous said...

You and your husband are real role models, Pam!