Sunday, January 24, 2016

Sunday

HOW A 29-YEAR OLD C.K. CHESTERTON FLIPPED 4 ARGUMENTS AGAINST CHRISTIANITY UPSIDE DOWN

WE ARE CURRENTLY STUDYING GENESIS IN OUR ONEYEARBIBLE BLOG. 

Some of the best commentary by Bob Deffenbaugh on a variety of subjects is included in this daily (fairly intense) Bible study.  I am linking to some of my favorites of the past week.  Incidentally,  if you don't want to read the entire commentary, look at the bold-faced points then skip to the conclusions at the end of each article.

Here are a few of my  recent favorites:

A Proper Perspective of Poverty and Prosperity

The Proper Use of Power 

*************************

BELOW another excerpt from Pastor Tim Keller's new daily devotional, The Songs of Jesus, today from Psalm 16:7-11

  7I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;in the night also my heart instructs me. 8 I have set the Lord always before me;because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. 9Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;my flesh also dwells secure. 10For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. 11You make known to me the path of life;in your presence there is fullness of joy;at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

THE BEST IS YET TO COME.  If God is our greatest good, we get what can't be lost and will only increase---infinitely.  The Lord is at our right hand. To be at someone's right hand is to be their advocate in court or support in battle or companion for a journey.  In Christ this is literally true (Acts 2:24-36). Because he died and rose for us, he is our representative in heaven (so we are completely forgiven) and companion on earth (so we are intimately loved). And someday we will not just sense him at our side but see him face to face.  In our resurrected bodies that will be endless, unimaginable pleasure (verses 9-11).  Now we have nothing to fear. 

PRAYER: Lord, as I lay down in sleep last night and rose this morning only by your grace, so keep me in a joyful, lively remembrance that whatever happens, I will someday know my final rising----the resurrection---because Jesus Christ lay down in death for me and rose for my justification.  Amen.

No comments: